Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Help with MIC M.M error

Tony Cox

Hello

I have a copy of this mic to Thomas Harrison which states he was awarded the MM, but i have searched the war diaries for this battalion and the london gazette and came up with nothing.

However i did find a William George Harrison in the diaries who did win the MM with the same battalion,but his MIC does not show the MM entitlement,could these two names be mixed up.I am a member of Ancestry and here are the mic's from them.

thanks

Tony

post-2286-0-65375200-1416985230_thumb.jp

post-2286-0-74324800-1416985597_thumb.jp

post-2286-0-80315000-1416985781_thumb.jp

I think that you are probably right. . In the end the MIC's must have been maintained by an army of clerks, and it is a tribute to their efforts that generally they are a good record, but errors happen. I'm not sure that you will ever be able to prove your view, or the negative, beyond the reasonable conclusion that you have drawn,

Keith

Hi Mike

There's a note in the Cemetery Register at the bottom which says * Correctly listed P.565 after Harrison, Pte. W. E. Whatever that means? -

If you look at the cemetery registers below his details on CWGC there are two pages listed - the name was put out of sequence (alphabetically)originally and should be on the next page - page 565 as indicated in red. The first page there is page 562.

regards

Robert

Thanks to you all for the reply's.

Johnboy the date on the WD for William George Harrison's MM was 8 July 1916.

Ive just received some paper work for my Thomas Harrison from the same battalion and found out that Thomas Harrison was badly wounded on the 14/2/1916 i think at Hill 60,

and never returned to the war again.So i think it was more than likely a mixup with the two men having the same surname and it was William George Harrison who won the MM.

Tony

Also, from the Military Medal records available on The Genealogist website is: award to Thomas Harrison, Sgt 7533 2nd Bn Yorkshire Regt. London Gazette dated 20/10/1919.

Ann

AnnMcD

I think the problem has been solved. The MM was mentioned in the WD dated 8/7/1916 in Birthday Honours.

Yours , although 3 yrs later might be a relative?