Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Identification of Uniform, poss Sherwood Foresters

2112pjm

Hello, I am trying to identify my grandfathers regiment in the Great war, all i have is his army photo and his name. I think the cap badge is of a Sherwood Forester, and thats what we have been told. He did come from Derbyshire. His name was Samuel Marshall, born in 1887. Any help to confirm this would be greatly appreciated!

post-118382-0-77396900-1416948825_thumb.

Cap badge looks correct for the Foresters. He also has the imperial service badge showing he was in the Territorial force before the war and was willing to serve overseas

Shoulder title looks like T/8/NOTTS & DERBY which tallies with one MIC on ancestry Pte Samuel Marshall 306477 Notts and Derby and 630596 Labour Corps

Jon

306477 was allocated to 8th Bn Notts and Derby Regt. He served post in France post 01/01/1916. I will have to check the War Diary but 1/8th were the reserve battalion for 139th Bdes ill fated attack at Gommecourt wood in July 1916. 46th Div relegated to line holding but returned to the Somme region in 1917 so possible that he was gassed in 1917.

regards

Mark

306477 was allocated to 8th Bn Notts and Derby Regt. He served post in France post 01/01/1916. I will have to check the War Diary but 1/8th were the reserve battalion for 139th Bdes ill fated attack at Gommecourt wood in July 1916. 46th Div relegated to line holding but returned to the Somme region in 1917 so possible that he was gassed in 1917.

regards

Mark

Thank you so much for the information Mark. Much appreciated

Would agree with 8th Sherwood Foresters, but if 306477 is the only Notts & Derby number on his medial index card then he arrived in France after the 1917 Territorial renumbering and therefore most likely with the 2/8th Battalion when they went to France in February 1917.

cheers Mike

He did serve with the 130 POW Company which I believe was a unit within the Labour Corps, he lived at 3 Botany, Mansfield, Nottinghamshire in 1911 aged 24 and was a labourer, most likely at the Mansfield Brewery in the town. BRONNO.