Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Report or Accidental or Self Infliced Injuries

melissaford

This is a document on my Grandad's brother, I need help in reading it.

This is what I think it states

On the 26th December 1917 3 bde 13 Bty Victor Wise ? of thigh (not severe).

The man was about to take horse out to exercise and it ? on ti its back, he sustained the above injury.

Commanding officer opinion as to whether the man was to blame No. opinion Accidental.

I am also trying to locate location where this happen, from other records he was see by N03 Field Ambulance I have worked out that, No3 were at Weldadigheidsschool, Ecole de Bienfaisance on the Menin Road, not far from Hooge.

My Grandad brother was Victor Frederick Wise, Hackney, London Born but serving with New Zealand Expeditionary Force.

Thank you in advance for your help.

post-118458-0-86717400-1416927333_thumb.

Welcome to the forum. I think you need to post a bigger image, I can't read a thing!

System wouldn't allow me to make it bigger. Need to save image and enlarge on computer.

The War Diary if available may give the location. The report is too faint for me to read.

I see the record comes from NZ Archway under Wise, Frederick Victor 11/1379. Archway seems to be having techy problems at present. I'll keep checking in and post a link to the relevant page ASAP.

TEW

Archway back online and the record is File 25 and 26 (duplicate). Lovely set of records.

The missing bit is: On the 26th December 1917 3 bde 13 Bty Victor Wise contusion of thigh (not severe).

I can see in file 7 he was posted to 13 Battery 23/1/17 and after leave later in the year he re-joined unit 25/8/17 and the next entry is Evacuated to Hospital 2/2/18 presumably this is the horse incident. He was evacuated by 3rd NZ field ambulance to No. 2 NZ CCS then No. 20 AT (??) and entries for No. 4 Gen Hosp and No. 22 Gen Hosp all in early Feb 1918.

Someone will hopefully check this but I think the diary is on Archway. Not digitised.

3rd New Zealand Field Artillery Brigade (NZFA) - War Diary, 1 - 31 December 1917 [Triplicate] (R23534686)

TEW

Thank you.

I have all his army records, I going to do a small talk on him in january for my local history society and I am trying to gather all the information but I'm getting confused with all the transfers and 2 pages of casualty records.

He originally served in Egypt before going to France in April 1916, he had the accident with the horse in Dec 1917, but in Jan 1918 he was in hospital with a hernia No3 nz then No 4, On the 8th Feb 1918 is was accidentally injured and admitted to N0 20 then in March 1918 he was at No 23 general hospital before being transferred to No6 Conve depot. He was then sent to No 10 Conve Depot and on the 14th Apr 1918 from No10 discharged to No 5 RG.

20th April 1918 13 bty depot marched in, by June 1918 transferred to No3 Infantry Bn. 21st Aug 1918 leave to uk. 21st Sept 1918 trjoined from leave to 6 bty

The next entry is 27.10.18 Soldrdines, France ?

Abridged Medical Board report 8 days hospital 9 weeks at Camp ?

29.10.18 38 CCS - Adm 56 Gen Hosp - Staples

2.11.1918 evacuated Sick

7th Feb 1919 left to return back to New Zealand on Ajana

1st Apr 1919 admitted into hospital - Thigh Muscle

23rd April 1919 termination of Period of Engagement.

Looking at the above I wonder if all this resulted from that accident in December 1917?

As you can see very confused and trying to work it all out,

He died in 1954 of a heart attack.

Regards

Melissa

Hello Melissa

The entry on 29.10.18 should refer to Etaples, the British Army's main training depot in France. There were a number of hospitals there.

Having a horse fall on top of you is no joke. It even happened to the King when visiting the troops, and anecdotal evidence records that he was in occasional discomfort for quite some time afterwards. So your great uncle's experience with later pain was not unusual.

Ron

Melissa is the word you're seeing as 'Hernia' actually the word 'Wound'. I know that sounds daft as to how the two could be confused but the 1st entry on sheet 2 dated 9/2/18 is for contusion thigh accute. I think the next entries dated 4/2/18 are maybe L leg wound.

Anyone else who wants to look they are pages 7 and 8, no subscription or account needed. I think everthing up to 13/3/18 is to do with the horse incident. The accidentally injured

seems to be the findings of the court of enquiry.

Is the hernia thing on another page?

TEW

Dated 2 Feb 1918; Bottom right hand corner of p.7 reads "Acc Cont Thigh" (Accidental Contusion Thigh) and below it "Rupt Muscle" (Ruptured Muscle).

Dated 3 Feb 1918; Upper right corner of p.8 reads "Cont Thigh Acc" (Contusion of Thigh, Accidental)

Dated 4 Feb 1918; reads "(L) Ing. Hernia" (Left-sided Inguinal Hernia)

Below that there is a reference to a report (from o/c 13th Bty, dated 5 Feb 1918) on him being accidentally injured "in the performance of military duty", the report concludes that he was "in no way to blame". The date on which the incident occurred is said to be 26 Dec 1917.

I'd read this as indicating that he was injured on 26 Dec, but perhaps it was initially written off as simply being bruising or an uncomplicated strain. When it didn't get better he was sent down the line on 2 Feb 1918.

Melissa is the word you're seeing as 'Hernia' actually the word 'Wound'. I know that sounds daft as to how the two could be confused but the 1st entry on sheet 2 dated 9/2/18 is for contusion thigh accute.

The abbreviation 'Acc' indicates 'Accidental' rather than 'acute'.

Thank you.

I have all his army records, I going to do a small talk on him in january for my local history society and I am trying to gather all the information but I'm getting confused with all the transfers and 2 pages of casualty records.

He originally served in Egypt before going to France in April 1916, he had the accident with the horse in Dec 1917, but in Jan 1918 he was in hospital with a hernia No3 nz then No 4, On the 8th Feb 1918 is was accidentally injured and admitted to N0 20 then in March 1918 he was at No 23 general hospital before being transferred to No6 Conve depot. He was then sent to No 10 Conve Depot and on the 14th Apr 1918 from No10 discharged to No 5 RG.

Melissa - you're reading the dates wrongly, the date of the incidents themselves are in the right hand column (labelled 'Date of Casualty') not the left hand column, which is the date on which the incident was reported.

Regarding the circumstances; "This man was about to take a horse out to exercise and in vaulting onto its back he sustained the above injury" (described as "Contusion rt.thigh (not severe)", and below it I *think* it says "Rupt muscle" which ties in with the annotation on the 'casualty Form - Active Service')

So, it's the effort and action involved in jumping or leaping onto the back of the horse that caused the injury (apparently some sort of groin-strain which may have initially masked what turned out to be an inguinal hernia). He appears to have incapacitated himself, hence the questions regarding his culpability.

Edit; looking at it again, I thought it said "Contusion rt.thigh", but he had the hernia on the left side, so maybe it actually says "lt"....? It's so hard to tell....)

Thank you all for your help, I have had the records for years, and just kept them in my family history files, along with many other members that have served in WW1.

I've been doing family history for 26 years now and I tend to avoid anything to do with religion and Wars.

But just recently I have decided to write up theses stories, My own parents both were in WW2 dad in the Navy and mum in the Army.

So you should be seeing more post from me, as I'm quiet hopeless with military stuff.

My nan, brother served with the Canadian Expeditionary Force and was at the Vimy Ridge battle and he died a few days later.

My own grandad was with Royal Artillery and all I have on him is a medal card, and My late mum told me he was gassed and didn't return back to work until 1937.

Thank again for your help.

post-118458-0-42514200-1417183449_thumb.This is a picture of him taken in 1916