Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Military History Bookshop?

Paul Hederer

Hello,

I know this doesn't constitute a review, but I do have a question relating (well a bit) to books.

Does anyone know if the Military History Bookshop in Friern Barnet is still in business??

I visited it twice in the early 90's and have always wanted to return, but have been unable to contact them with any of the phone numbers I have (or have found.)

This was a fantastic shop and I'd like to think it's still around.

Paul

Hi Paul,

I live quite close to there and go past there regularly,unfortunately I believe it has been closed for some time now,I don,t know if they are in business at another address though.

You could try searching for them on ABE books.

Regards.

Stu

Stu,

Thanks, I was afraid of that.

I did find this on-line, which makes me wonder if it's the same place, "6,000 military related titles," sounds about right.

http://www.militaryhistorybooks.com/

Paul

The bookshop in Friern Barnet closed a few years ago, however much of the stock was bought up by another couple who live down in Kent. They had a shop in Hythe (near Folkestone) but I think now they only operate an internet business. Having visited the shop, they lean much more to WW II than I, but they do have a good foreign language selection inter alia. The website is at Military History Bookshop

Halder,

Thanks for confirming my suspicions. What a shame. I remember my first vist there back in 1991. I stayed 6 hours and spent a great deal more money than I could afford!! I literally had to pile books on the back seat and floor boards of the car to get them all in.

Paul

The sad thing is that there's not a truly great military history bookshop in London these days, especially after Ian Allen substantially reduced their stock as well. Francis Edwards is way too expensive. Sad to say, but Foyle's have the best selection...

Oops, forgot the IWM. They've done some excellent reprints too.

If you go to the IWM in search of books then don't forget to pop into the bookshop (dunno what it's called) right next to the restaurant Cubana in Lower Marsh: http://www.streetmap.co.uk/streetmap.dll?G...=179694&A=Y&Z=1

Where the arrow is on that map the shop is up near Spur Road but down the market, it is right next to Cubana, the window is usually full of Train/Transport books but they do have a very good small selection of war books.

It's the Ian Allan bookshop. Heavy bent for trains and transport, but a big military section.

Phil

Thanks, I go past it every working day but don't have a clue (until now) what it was called!

Don't go with too many expectations - they've severely cut down on their stock in the past year or so, especially WW I, which is a real shame.