Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Sound of Silence

IanA

Indeed and very graphic. I always wonder why the gunfire and killing had to go on until the very last minute.

Because it was only an Armistice, and there was no guarantee it wouldn't start again. Therefore, things like river crossings, high ground, etc, might have been important.

I'm sure some egghead scientist out there could use that graphic to somehow re-create the sounds. It would certainly be interesting to hear.

It simply looks as if a tape recording activity through 11:00 has been cut at 11:00 and spliced with a tape showing no activity. There is no continuity in the tape. MG

It simply looks as if a tape recording activity through 11:00 has been cut at 11:00 and spliced with a tape showing no activity. There is no continuity in the tape. MG

" The two minutes either side of the exact armistice hour have been cut from the strip to emphasize contrast? " :whistle:

Mike

I'm sure some egghead scientist out there could use that graphic to somehow re-create the sounds. It would certainly be interesting to hear.

Someone did on one of those interminable Centenary Commemoration things on TV recently. It was b&ll&cks, as ever.

I think there were bagpipes in the mix. So it wasn't all bad . Unless you don't like bagpipes.

I have heard an original recording of a great war artillery barrage, it was about two years ago and may have been on a university/museum site.

khaki

I think there were bagpipes in the mix. So it wasn't all bad . Unless you don't like bagpipes.

In which case you're beyond help and don't deserve nice things.

I think there's some doubt about it, but, who knows?

Mike

Thanks Mike,

I am pretty sure that's the one I heard!

khaki

ps what sort of guns would that have been, howitzer battery?

Well, if we're posting YouTube links