Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

10th Kings Own Yorkshire Light Infantry

ianvz

I hope I'm posting this in the right place. I recently came into possession of this photograph of the Officers of the 10th KOYLI. I'm assuming it is in Belgium or France, due to the presence of "Sgt Herbault, Interpeter". Lt. William Bamber was my Great Great Uncle killed at the Somme, July 1, 1916. The 10th went to France on Sept 11, 1915, so the photograph has to have been taken between Sept 1915 and July 1 1916.

Here is the inscription on the reverse

RSM Cupit, 2nd Lt. Andrews

2nd Lts Wilkinson, Dixon, Asher, Byerley, Sgt Herbault, Interpreter

2nd Lts Wray, Maud

2nd Lts Barrett, Shaw, Mein, Ellis, Capt Haygate (1st Battn) Lt Allen (Quartermaster) Lt Burkett, 2nd Lt Cockcroft, Jack, Lt. Dugmore

Lt Harison (Bombing Officer) Lt Bamber (OC D Coy) Lt Simpson (OC C Coy) Maj Laskie (2nd in Command) Lt Col King (CO) Capt Page (Adjt) Capt Santer (OC A Coy) Capt Stretton (OC B Coy), Lt James RAMC (MO)

Hope someone finds this interesting.

Ian van Zyl

Canada

post-39676-0-60120500-1416769496_thumb.j

Ian

Excellent picture.

Chateau looks familiar (http://battlefields1418.50megs.com/9koyli.htm) - presumably 10th KOYLI officers were billeted in the Chateau when the 9th KOYLI were in the line. It may also be taken around the same time - April 1916.

Kind regards

Colin

• Admin

Photo taken at LA Neuville, , Corbie. Excellent photograph

Michelle

Thanks to you both for the interesting link and identifying the location and date.

I consulted the War Diary of the 10th KOYLI for April 1916, and found this:

April 8: Marching into MAULTE on morning of the 8, the Battn. took over QUEENS REDOUBT, BONTE REDOUBT and the village of BERCORDEL BICOURT situated in rear of the front line W. of FRICOURT.

April 11. From 7 pm - 8 pm the Germans heavily bombarded the 8 Div. front on our left occupied by RIR and RB.

April 12: Operation order received to move back to LA NEUVILLE on 14 inst.

April 15: Rest

April 16: All available Ranks on digging trenches on high ground NW PONT NOYELLES Rd

April 23: Marched from LA NEUVILLE at 9 am

So looks like the date is between April 14 and April 23

Thanks again

• 1 year later...

What a fantastic photo. My Great Uncle was a Private in 10th Battalion. I believe he fought at the Somme.

NWT

It may be a plan to start a new thread with what you know about him - people on here may be able to help.

Kind regards

Colin

• 6 years later...

I am the originator of this old thread.  While sorting through some files I realized that Lt Dugmore (extreme right, 2nd row) in this picture is Arthur Radclyffe Dugmore, the author of "When the Somme Ran Red: The Experiences of an Officer of the King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry During the First World War"

I hope that you do not mind, but I have taken the liberty of tidying up the quality of your photograph. It is not perfect but hopefully it is an improvement.

KOYLI.jpg