Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

British Bunker

kelly

Hi to all,

Recently strolled around the Ypres salient taking in x2 bunkers. The first being in Ploegsteert Wood midway between Mud Corner & Ploegsteert Wood Cemetery. I'm unable to find any history on it and wondered if there were any experts that could give a name etc.

The second lies in Polygon Wood and during a debate with a local there was conjecture about's its name, Scott Post or Scott's Post, can anyone confirm.

Regards

Garry

In plug Wood you probably mean Lewisham Lodge, a British shelter.

In Polygon Wood, Scott Post is German, taken and occupied by 56th Australians, 26 September, who named it after their CO who was killed nearby.

Peter

No it not. Tried to destroy after 1918 but failed

TT

Er sensible. My understanding was that Scott's Post is quite damaged but from efforts to pull it down after the war. I seem to recall reading that info somewhere? I am sure you will know if that is not the case.

Regards

TT

Menu senile moment as I have got the wrong wood... Doh! Scott's Post obviously at Polygon.

Leaving the building.

TT

TT, don't leave the building, stay where you are. Easy mistake.

You are correct in that Scott Post (named after the CO, Humphrey Scott, of 56th Australians).was damaged post-war, in clearing ammunitions (several constructions in the area show signs of interior explosion from clearances, trying to kill 2 birds with one stone). In a forum PM Garry asked if Scott Post or Scott's Post is correct. Scott Post used on trench maps, Scott's Post a modern misuse.

Lewisham Lodge, in Ploegsteert Wood, also partly destroyed, but quite a weak structure so wouldn't take much to damage it. The bunker shows signs of being on an earlier British shelter, of sandbags and masonry.

Attached is map of existing structures in Plug Wood, for info.

Peter

post-2649-0-06848500-1417341215_thumb.jp

• 2 weeks later...

Mick I believe so, certainly I saw two mud corner side of wood.

TT

Some of them are by public access and no problem, the row along Hunter's Avenue depend on the season......the keeper can get upset if you enter during the shooting season.

For info, see "Armageddon's Walls: British Pill Boxes"

Peter

PS there's also a lot on the other side of the wood, around Hill 63. Will post map if anyone interested.

Peter yes please as will be visiting area next March.

TT

Thanks. Should have realised it was in your book. I have a copy and very good it is. Anyone who likes these concrete structures needs to get a copy .

TT