Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Westland built aircraft.

pete-c

Would anyone have any details of the possible works logos applied to machines built at Westlands at Yeovil c1916/17?

The only reference I have is a very indistinct photo of a Short seaplane with a logo - or what appears to be a logo - underneath the tail-plane.

The Putnam book, 'Westland Aircraft since 1915' by Derek James has a photograph of the N.1B floatplane fighter with a logo on the side of the fuselage under the leading edge of the tailplane. There is also a photograph of a Wagtail of 1918 with the same logo. The writing on it looks like "Westland Aircraft Works". It is circular and about 9 inches diameter. The word "Westland" at the top is curved in the style of the writing on the back of a coin and runs from 10 o' clock to 2 o' clock. The word "Aircraft" runs straight across the middle. The word "Works" is curved at the bottom from 8 o' clock to 4 o' clock. If you want a copy, give me your e-mail address.

Roger Austin.

Thanks Roger. Yes I have come across this particular logo, introduced I think, towards the end of the war. The one I am trying to find a clearer image of was perhaps used when Westland produced their first Short 225 (Type 184) at the close of 1915.

The aircraft I am particularly interested in is the next one Westlands produced, The Short Canton-Unne (Type 166) and there is an image of such a machine in The Book of Westland Aircraft. I am wondering if the logo shown could possibly be the SBAC logo, depicted on some of Westlands advertising material but I have yet to find a picture of a machine similarly adorned.

Pete, Yes, I have that book (with a good picture of the 'Wagtail' logo on page 22). The only other thing I can suggest is a company logo used in Westland advertisements in 1929 - and quite possibly at other times too. It is like a set of pilot's wings with the wings bent up to the vertical with "WAW" on a scroll below. It could be the same as that depicted on the Canton Unne but impossible to be sure. Same offer as above.

Roger Ausrtin.

Many thanks Roger. As far as I can see Westlands seem to have used about three or four different logos during the period of the war. If only they were all the same dimensions as the one illustrated on page 26!

Cheers, Peter.