Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

B Battery 298th Brigade Royal Horse Artillery

Guest johnallot

Hello I am wondering if anyone can give me any information as to the location of this Battery on July 17 1917.

As I am trying to find out some more information on my gt uncle acting Bombardier Ernest Sutton who was killed in action. on this day.

I also believe my Grandfather served in the same Battery.

many thanks John.

Hi John,

Welcome to the Forum.

At this stage of the war B/298 was a combination of 2/1st Essex Royal Horse Artillery and half of 2/1st Glamorgan Royal Horse Artillery, both 2nd line Territorial Force batteries. Ernest Sutton had the number 622250 which was in the block handed out to Essex RHA at the beginning of 1917. From that number I can deduce that he joined the battery in late September 1914. 298th Brigade became an Army Brigade and the War Diaries are currently being digitised so you will be able to download them from the National Archives quite soon. The reference you need is WO 95/456 = 298 Army Field Artillery Brigade 1917 Mar. - 1919 Feb.

Was your grandfather 622249 Albert J Sutton? He looks to have joined the same day as Ernest.

Hi David

Many thanks for the reply, and I am very pleased with the information that you have given me, and I look forward to being able to download the Diaries.

Albert was another of my gt uncles and I did not know his service no so that is something new for me.

My Grandfather was Leonard R J Sutton and I believe his service no was 622341 and he was a driver.

Once again many thanks for the reply

Best regards John.