Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Whats the Cap Badge for the RFA TF 1914-1918?

MazJenko

Hi,

Wondering if anyone can help?

My 2nd Great Grandfather James Harrison (201811) was discharged from 1205 (W.L) Bty (TF), which I am assuming is short for West Lancashire Battalion Territorial Force?

He served over seas so, I think he may have been in another battalion before hand. Unfortunately I think he is the one of many men whos service records were destroyed.

I am interest to know if his cap badge would have contained the laurel rather than the works Ubique on the top due to the fact he was in the TF?

Thanks in advance

Maz

Both. In 1917 I believe they were auth to bear ubique instead of the Luarels.

TR

Further if serving before the change I rather suspect he would have held onto his original badge with the Laurels despite the change.

TT

Further if serving before the change I rather suspect he would have held onto his original badge with the Laurels despite the change.

TT

Hi,

Wondering if anyone can help?

My 2nd Great Grandfather James Harrison (201811) was discharged from 1205 (W.L) Bty (TF), which I am assuming is short for West Lancashire Battalion Territorial Force?

He served over seas so, I think he may have been in another battalion before hand. Unfortunately I think he is the one of many men whos service records were destroyed.

I am interest to know if his cap badge would have contained the laurel rather than the works Ubique on the top due to the fact he was in the TF?

Thanks in advance

Maz

The Royal Field Artillery Batteries of the Territorial force usually had letters not numbers. Brigades for the West Lancashire division were as follows:-

1st West Lancs. (Liverpool)

2nd West Lancs. (Preston)

3rd West Lancs. (Liverpool)

4th West Lancs. (Howitzer) (Liverpool)

Thanks for this.

I got the numbers and the abbreviations from the Silver War Badge Roll as it states what unit he was discharged from.

Thanks for the comments unfortunately I cant find any more information on him so assuming his records were distroyed in the Blitz.

Does anyone know when the change was authorised ?