Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RAMC(T) records

webbyg

Does anyone know where (if at all!) I might find records of the RAMC (T) unit based in Cambridge, pre-1914? It was the 1st Eastern General Hospital but I do not seem to be able to find any records pertaining to it, nor if any service records of those serving in the Territorial Force still exist for the period 1910-1914.

Many thanks.

Hello webbyg

You should be able to find some information in the records of the Cambridgeshire County Territorial Force Association, which are likely to be with the Cambridgeshire county archives.

I have never used these archives, but try browsing the county website, www.cambridgeshire.gov.uk as there may be a link to the archives and details of what they hold. At the very least, the site should give you a contact e-mail address.

Only this afternoon I was looking at the lectern used in the hospital chapel when it was at Boulogne in 1917-18. It is now held in St Michael's Church in Trinity Street, a daughter church to Great St Mary's, to whom it was presented after the war.

Ron

Google 1st Eastern General Hospital and loads comes up. I have a feeling that someone has written a book on the unit but cannot recall the title.

Pete