Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Private STANTON John - N° 1809

phiphi

Thanks Phiphi,

Great photos and thanks very much for posting them. It is very nice to get a look at some of the things "Tommy could see", as you say. No prizes for guessing where the Brigadier might have stayed on those training exercises!? Does anyone know what soldiers they are in the last photo?

Keith,

Very nice to see Sgt. Stanton added to your signature!

Bonjour à tous,

En transmettant les informations de la découverte de la plaque d'identité this militaire du soldat John Stanton à Philippe, je ne pensais pas au Québec this histoire Allait Prendre une tournure also Intéressante. Je ai découvert Celle-ci Avec Un détecteur de Métaux au pied D'une petite colline à l'entrée d'ONU bois derrière le château du village de Bomy il ya Quelques temps.

Nous serions ravi de Restituer this objet à la famille avec les Membres de détection Web association our 62 et de Pouvoir Mettre l'ONU visage sur CE nom Qui est en former d'aboutir à une belle histoire (Nous Cherchons also à Connaître la date de et le lieu de fils mariage et son lieu d'inhumation AFIN de faire une histoire complète). Je poste EN PIECE JOINTE Une carte postale du village Que vous can retrouver sur mon blogue (bomyphoto): une vue de voiture-atelier portante la mention "les Anglais à Bomy".

A bientôt, Rudy cordialement.

post-118829-0-60969100-1418047778_thumb.

Hi Chris yes i thought it was time for the wife's Granddad to be added to my signature just that being on 12 hr shifts i just have a quick look see as to what is going on on the forum and then hit the sack! now i'm off i thought i would add the old boy. The wife mentioned tonight that he ended up dying of cancer and another weird thing is that she also said that the soldier standing with his hand on his hip is the way her uncle John used to stand (please don't tell me that the gentleman in the photo is her Granddad as that would be just too spooky!).

regards Keith.

Thank you for posting the photo of the soldiers in Bomy, Rudy sorry to say my mastery of the French language is not that good. I think i have the basic jist of what you are stating though.

Thanks again regards Keith

Edited by keith iles

Hi all just a quick line to let you know that my e-mail fault has now been resolved regards keith

Hello Keith,

My English isn't verry well so I'm going to write in your langage but it's difficult for me. I don't know who is on the postcard of the English Soldiers in the village of Bomy but I think this is members of the army service corps because I have found in the village some cap badges of this regiment.

We're going to restitute the disk of your family member probably with an English organism which coming in France saturday and this is with great pleasure for us to know the grandaughter of private John Stanton who lost the disk in my village.

Now, we can found the grave of the soldier and all documents oh his live because it's verry important for us to know the life of this man.

Sorry, for my English and I hope to meet your family in the future , best regards Rudy.

Hello all,

Very nice picture Rudy! May I ask you, what does "Une Voiture-Atelier", written in the bottom right of the photo, mean? Does it mean a 'workshop' for vehicles? (i.e. They were mechanics) Or does it mean simply; a workshop that happened to be operated out of/in a vehicle? (i.e. It could have been one of any number of different types of workshop). :w00t:

Regards,

Chris

Hello Rudy thank you again for very kindly arranging for the return of John's ID Disc to his family, John survived the war and died of natural causes (cancer). We are not sure exactly where he is buried or whether he may have been cremated but it is very likely to have been somewhere in London, we shall ask around the family and as soon as we find any further information i shall relay it to you.

Best regards, Keith

• 6 months later...

Just a quick update on the return of Sgt John Stanton M.M. ID bracelet to the family, my wife will be visiting her brother John who lives in Kent in July this year to attend his daughters wedding. I relayed this information to Philippe who found their Grandfathers bracelet and he has kindly invited them to attend a formal presentation of bracelet by the Mayor of Sangette on the 14th of July which my wife and her brother have accepted. I have asked my wife to get a few photo's of the presentation and I shall post them as soon as she returns home, once more we would like to extend our sincere thanks to Philippe and his group and to all the forum pals who have provided information and assistance in this amazing discovery.

Best regards Keith and Joan Iles.

Hello Keith,

That's absolutely great news! Sounds like that will be a wonderful experience for your wife and her brother. What a nice thing for Philippe and the people of Sangette to organise. Will be great to hear about what happened.

Cheers,

Chris

Edit: Nice one Rudy, too! :thumbsup:

Hello friends. Actually a great time getting ready: The return of the identity plate to the soldier's family. The ceremony will take place in the town of Sangatte (near Calais) July 14, 2015 in the late morning. Unfortunately my friend Rudy who found the disc will be present for work cause.

I want to thank all those who commented on this post and that allowed us to know a little history of Mr John Stanton. Thank you all.

Philippe

A great story - what this forum is all about!

Hi all just heard from the Mrs who said that she and her brother had a fantastic time at the presentation of their Grandfathers ID Bracelet and were treated like royalty by Philippe and his friends, I would very much like to extend my thanks to Philippe and ask that he pass them on to all who made my wife and her brother so welcome on the day. As mentioned before I have added a couple of photo's taken on the day, below is my wife Joan with her brother John and the ID Bracelet which had been framed along with other items and presented to them.

post-42237-0-67458500-1436921229_thumb.j

And another of Joan and John with Philippe at the presentation, once more thank you sincerely for all that you have done!

post-42237-0-89556400-1436921397_thumb.j

Hi Keith, hello friends. A very special day with many emotions. I thank the members of the forum for their assistance in this research.

A big thank you to Keith, Joan and John for this wonderful adventure.

Now the disc has returned to his country and his family.

MERCI BEAUCOUP PHILIPPE

Great photos! It's very nice to see pictures of everyone and to get an idea of what went on.

It was so nice of Philippe to set that all up. A really heartwarming story.

Chris

• 1 year later...
On 11/25/2014 at 11:08, Drew-1918 said:

I know what you mean!

Excuse me if you have already thought of this, but something else has just occurred to me. As a Sergeant, and the leader of a Patrol (as the War Diary states), John Stanton would have been particularly marked out for interrogation. The Germans would have known that he would be quite likely to be in possession of information the average Rifleman would not. In the August 1918 part of the 47th Div. History there is an interesting snippet which may be of relevance here:

‘…And another captured document…if indication were needed, [says] that it was not the quality of our men which baulked us of a full measure of success. “The examination of the captured prisoners,” it reads, “presented great difficulty. Those especially of the 23rd London Regiment were apparently excellently schooled in the way they should behave if captured, and they gave very clever evasive answers. The captured sergeant refused absolutely any information.” ’

Whilst the captured document refers “especially” to the 23rd Bn. the Divisional History seems to hint that all the men in the division were similarly schooled. I can’t help but wonder if events unfolded in a similar way with Sergeant Stanton, and thus lead to the rifle butt in the head. A bit speculative, so please excuse me, but I thought it might be of interest.

Chris

Could this be the man that the History refers to:

Silent Sargeant.jpg