Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Private STANTON John - N° 1809

phiphi

Hello, I search on the soldier John STANTON - Service Number 1809 - 24 Th London Territotial Force. I performed this research to find his family or their descendants to return his identity disc. Thank you for your help

post-99314-0-37936200-1416642973_thumb.j

Hello,

That is very nice of you. Did you know that his records appear to be on Ancestry? He got the Military Medal! Also missing and subsequently found to be a POW. It is just that an address is given that may help you start a trace:

John Stanton

103 Queens Buildings,

Scovell Road,

Southwark Bridge Road,

Southwark,

SE1

Might be a long-shot, as the family may of course have moved away from the area, but could be one place to start. Apologies if you know all of this.

I hope you don't mind, but may I ask how you ended up with the identity disc?

Regards,

Chris

John Stanton's D.O.B. is given as 18th May, 1894, in Marylebone, Middlesex. In addition, there is a brother, Robert Stanton, who is listed as N.O.K.. John Stanton's wife's name is given as Ada Stanton, and there are also some children listed on the Service Record (though perhaps I shouldn't mention them here, as they may still be alive). if you didn't already know this info, then these details may help you trace the family.

Chris

Hi all, just noticed this thread, my mother in laws maiden name (who has now passed away) was Stanton and originally she lived in London, I have just spoken to my wife and she remembers her Grandfathers name was John Stanton (called Jack) he survived the war but had his ear drum perforated after being struck behind the ear by a rifle butt. She is not to sure on his exact address in London but said it was in the vicinity of the Bow Bells, I have just searched the CWGC site with the details of the above named soldier and it does not appear he was a casualty. I will contact my brother in law in the UK and see if he has any further family info which may be relevant (who Knows it may be the wifes Granddad!).

Best Regards, Keith Iles

Hello Keith,

You never know, eh. That would be a fast result if it turns out to lead somewhere. Will be interested to see what happens there.

Regards,

Chris

Hi back again just picked up about his wife Ada, my wife Joan has just mentioned that her Grans name was Ada, i will still e mail the brother in law for further details but i have a feeling we may be talking about the same gentleman, regards Keith

Hi Chris have again spoken to the missus she has said that her mother Emily had siblings called Lillian, Florence, John, Robert, Dan ( could be short for Daniel) all of the afore mentioned are now deceased. She also said her Grand mother Ada had a sister called Florence, could you please check if any of the names i have stated relate to children listed on John's service record, regards Keith

Hello again Keith,

Yes, the names do fit. Two of the children are mentioned on the Service Record: John Benjamin William, b. 25.3.1920, and Lillian Rose, b. 7.2.1923. That seems very promising. I don't want to jump the gun, but you can't help but think the coincidence is remarkable.

By the way, it seems that Ada's maiden name was also Stanton (Just to avoid confusion later).

Chrs

*Edit: correction of 'Jon' to 'John'. Apologies

Oh my God Chris this is weird my wife said she was originally going to named Lillian Rose and her uncle John's name was John (or Jon) Benjamin William think we are talking about the same man!.

Keith

Blimey! It certainly looks like it. Can't help but wonder if he got the knock from the rifle butt when he was captured or in captivity.

Well Knock me down that's the first she has heard that he was a POW, I have just messaged phiphi to check on his posting so as to get a jist of what is evolving here. As a side the wife and i are originally from Chatham Kent and the brother in law lives in between Rainham and Alicante in Spain. Also i had a great ucle in the Buffs and one in the Royal Fusiliers (check my signature) Keith

Yeah, I was just thinking the same thing about the Buffs-Royal Fusiliers-Kent connections in your signature. Had Relatives in all of those Regiments and other relatives now spread out in different parts of Kent, just like yourself.

I don't suppose your wife knew he got the Military Medal either? I wonder if your other relatives knew. I can't find the citation at the moment, though I am trying. I would love to know how he got it...

Chris

Hi Chris no she didn't know about the MM either could you please let me know on which site you found his service record so i might down load it, certainly is a small world isn't it!

Keith

That's great thank you so much Chris I'll go on and download the file, also would it be ok if i add you to my list of friends? regards Keith

John Stanton gets a mention in the 1/24th London Regiment War Diary for August 1918! A relatively rare occurrence, I should have thought:

"Monday, Aug, 5, Brigades called. Patrols active in front of O.G. system.

Sgts. Beardshaw, Foster & Stanton patrol front to the Ancre. Sgt. Beardshaw wounded.

Sgt. Stanton missing. 2nd/Lt Pyle takes out three search parties on one of which

Pte. Hicks was wounded. Pte. Edwards was killed. Bn. relieved by 15th London Regiment."

Great thread - ICRC records:

post-50-0-26228400-1416723167_thumb.jpg

Page 22 of the Edinburgh Gazette has the announcement of the M.M:

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/Edinburgh/issue/13290/data.pdf

post-79295-0-01523500-1416724254_thumb.j

Says he was a Corporal, so according to the Service Record, I think this means the M.M. must have been for an action between the 1.5.17 and 5.6.18.

Chris

Gentleman this is fantastic, my wife asked that i express her thanks for the time you have spent and the information provided and i personally would also like to thank you great work guys ! best regards Keith

Hi all just heard from the brother in law in the UK that his mother told him that John received that knock to his ear with a rifle butt while being interrogated when he was captured but he also did not know of the MM, also he doesn't know where his medals are possibly they may be with one of his cousins, i don't know if he will ask around in the family.

Gentleman this is fantastic, my wife asked that i express her thanks for the time you have spent and the information provided and i personally would also like to thank you great work guys ! best regards Keith

You're very welcome. It's turning into a fascinating story so it's a pleasure to be a part of in some little way. Please keep us updated on what happens.

Hi all just heard from the brother in law in the UK that his mother told him that John received that knock to his ear with a rifle butt while being interrogated when he was captured but he also did not know of the MM, also he doesn't know where his medals are possibly they may be with one of his cousins, i don't know if he will ask around in the family.

I just happen to be reading the 47th Division History at the moment, and funnily enough had just got to the Spring Offensive when I read this post. I don't know if you've come across it before, but there is a very interesting and captivating account of the part the 47th Division played in it as a rear guard. I can't imagine how scary it must have been to go out on patrol under 'normal' circumstances in the Great War, let alone when you knew masses of Germans were advancing and you had been desperately fighting for the last 6 days or so. If you don't already have a hard copy, there is an online version you might like to check out:

https://archive.org/details/47thlondondivisi00maudrich

The 47th Division History mentions the 227th R.I.R., 107th Division as being opponents of the 24th Londons on the 6th April. I wonder if it was this lot that captured your wife's Grandfather! Possible opponents when John Stanton won his MM.

Apologies if you already knew about this.

Chris

Glad to help a little - thought this earler thread I began might be of 24th / Spring Offensive interest

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=209810&hl=%2Bgunton+%2Bhall

Hi Chris thanks for the heads up on the online history of the 47th Division, everything re: the 24th Londons is pretty new to me at the moment as the units i have really been following relate to those in my signature and mainly the 2/KRRC as you know until i picked up on this thread we had no idea about any military background on the wife's Granddad. I wish i had had this sort of luck in researching my Grandfather John Thomas Iles of 2/KRRC !

Regards Keith.

Hi Simon ta for the link to your previous thread, who knows John and Sydney may have known each other.

Keith