Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Disembarkation 5 g II & IV - August 1915

Hello

Can anyone tell me the disembarkation place denoted by codes 5g II & IV. William Spencer's book on Army Service Records show 5 as Asia prior to the end of 1915 so I can only assume these are men heading for India and the NWF?? to qualify for the 1914-15 Star?? Maybe reliefs for India based garrisons? I am slightly confused by the double code II & IV

A large number of the Royal Sussex Regt has disembarkation codes 5g II & IV for 17th Aug 1915. Cross referencing this with James' British Regiment 1914-18 doesn't flag any suitable battalion.

1st Bn - India throughout

2nd Bn - Aug 1914 France

3rd Reserve Bn - UK

1/4th Bn - July 1915 Mudros

1/5th Bn - early 1915 France

1/6th Bn - UK

2/4th Bn - UK

2/5th Bn - UK

2/6th Bn - India in Feb 1916

7th Bn - Jun 1915 France

8th Bn - Jul 1915 France

9th Bn - Sep 1915 France

10th Bn - UK

11th Bn - Mar 1916 France, Oct 1918 Russia

12th Bn - Mar 1916 France

13th Bn - Mar 1916 France

14th Bn - UK

15th Bn - UK

16th Bn - formed in Egypt from Sussex Yeomanry

17th Bn - formed in France

MG

Martin,

I think it's 1st Bn Royal Sussex and their involvement at Rustum. My man Garner has an entry date of 17/8/15 but they spell out Rustum on the MIC rather than putting a code- may be a quirk of him being on the RAF 1914-15 roll.

Matthew

There were also some actions near Hafiz Kor but these were on 5th September and 8th October 1915- not sure if Royal Sussex was involved. Rustum can also be spelled Rustam.

Martin,

I think it's 1st Bn Royal Sussex and their involvement at Rustum. My man Garner has an entry date of 17/8/15 but they spell out Rustum on the MIC rather than putting a code- may be a quirk of him being on the RAF 1914-15 roll.

Matthew

Thank you. Presumably there were two places Hafiz Kor and Rustum, hence the II & IV ?? Rustum is where exactly? I assume it is in what my father's generation would call Persia, now Iran? MG

Your initial guess was correct- the Northwest Frontier.

Most of what I found out about 1st RSR at Rustam was from this page:

http://gillww1.wordpress.com/2012/09/01/gtg-on-the-north-west-frontier-1915/

I think Howard Wilkinson's newish WW1 Medal Collector's Companion may provide more insight into the code, but I'm away from it at present.

Best regards,

Matthew