Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Underground memorials (sort of)

Khaki

I watch with fascination the occasional newscast or documentary that shows newly discovered underground tunnels , It seems a shame that after limited exploration they are resealed and consigned to be forgotten and to collapse. I guess that there is really no alternative. Safety first of course.

khaki

Sorry, I don't, I was just thinking of some well done documentaries that I saw on television over the last few years, that had investigated various lost tunnels and underground workings (apart from the 'mine' tunnels). that soldiers had to eat and sleep in below ground. There was one I saw that was very interesting and well done where they recovered a manually operated pump for draining away the water level, other items were recovered I think a shoe, a gas blanket for the entrance. I may be confusing more than one documentary as there have been many. I must pause to comment that the British made documentaries on the Great War are superb, I never fail to enjoy them. The presenters and historians have the ability to make me feel that they are speaking personally to me, my thanks and congratulations to all of them.

khaki