The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Corporal Samuel Roberts - 8th Devons

syd

My ancestor, Cpl Samuel Roberts died on the first day of the Battle of the Somme in 1916. Records show that he served with the 8th (Service) Battalion of the Devonshire Regiment. He is buried in the Devonshire Cemetery at Mametz. His service number was 9306. A newspaper cutting I have reports that he had a miraculous escape from death on the front line in December 1914 when he was shot in the chest - and saved by a pocket book. He was invalided out of the Army for almost a year before returning to France. The 8th Devons did not arrive in France until July 1915. Is it possible that Samuel served with another battalion when injured in 1914 (perhaps the 2nd Devons) before joining the 8th Devons? This does seem the most likely outcome. I would appreciate any help with this.

His number seems to be among the pre-war enlistments,maybe around 1912. 2 Devons were in Egypt in 1914 until called home to fight in France,landing there with 23 Infantry Brigade of 8 Division on 6 Nov 1914,his Medal Index Card has this date.

His later posting to 8 Battalion put him with 20 Infantry Brigade of 7 Division. Their task on day 1 of the Battles of the Somme was in the Battle of Albert where they were with XV Corps which successfully took Mametz,but where your ancestor was killed.

There is an account here in the Long Long Trail:

http://www.1914-1918.net/bat15G_Mametz.html

Dear Sotonmate,

Thank you for your help. Samuel was born in 1895 and it's likely from records I have had access to that he joined the Army soon after his 18th birthday. He was so unlucky to have survived being shot in the chest in 1914, only to have died on the first day of the Battle of the Somme in 1916. The link to content on the Long Long Trail is very helpful.