Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

15th Hussars

ianw

I have the regimental history for this unit which also gives a lot of pointers re. the 19th Hussars who were brigaded with the 15th.

• 4 months later...
Guest monkdown

Dear ianw

I have the medals to 4022 Pte. W.H. Roberts 15/ Hussars, 1914 Star with Bar Trio,

but have not been able to glean much information about him. except that he was in A Squadron. If you could add any details or point me in the right direction for avenues of research I would be exstremely grateful.

Thanks

John

John,

As you may suspect Private Roberts is not mentioned in the History as far as I can see but this book has now bee reprinted at reasonable cost and you may want it so that you can follow "A" Squadron's movements.

Obviously Kew may yield his record.

Regards Ian

• 6 years later...

Hi there,

I am very new to all of this.But I have my great uncles medals he was in the 15th/19th Hussars Served in South Africa then from what I can make out was one of the first to go to Europe.He has the 1914 star with clasp for nov fighting I believe.Can you tell me where the regimental history you have comes from.As I would like to know where he fought etc.He was the only one who survived ww1 all other brothers etc died.

My email is:r_nichols@hotmail.co.uk if this helps further.But any information you can give would be much appreciated.

Many regards

bob

[quote name='ianw' date='May 4 2003, 09:08 AM' post='15288

I have the regimental history for this unit which also gives a lot of pointers re. the 19th Hussars who were brigaded with the 15th.

Bob,

Before and during WW1, the 15th Hussars and 19th Hussars were completely separate regiments, although they were brigaded together so were often in the same vicinity.

The amalgamated after the war to become the 15th/19th Hussars.

His 14 Star and other medals will show which regiment he was with in WW1. As you say , he was an Old Contemptible going over to France and Belgium in 1914.

The 15th Hussar history was published after the war and is now available in a modern reprint quite easily. The 19th Hussars sadly had no history written of them but get a number of mentions in the 15th's history.

If he turns out to have been in the 19th Hussars, there is a nice book available about life in the regiment just prior to WW1 called "Hussar of the Line". It is quite easily found and a good read.

Regards Ian

Bob,

In addition, I think both regiments were used to provide squadrons for the first six infantry divisions of the BEF in August of 1914, one squadron per division. If you click on the LLT (Long, Long Trail) button (top left on the main page) it will take you to an excellent site with a lot of info on the structure of the British Army in WWI.

Regards,

lostinspace

Bob,

Yes, LIS is perfectly correct to point out that the regiments were split to provide divisional cavalry up until the spring of 1915 when they reformed - just in time to go temporarily into trenches near Ypres to perform valiantly as infantry - the horses were particularly troubled by the duck-boards and traverses (joke)

• 11 months later...

Hello Ian,

Would be grateful if you could give me some info about the 15th Hussars on th 8/9/10 and 11 November1918. Making a study about the last days of the great War between Oudenaarde and Tournai, Belgium

Kind regards and thanks from Flanders,

Jef