Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Delville Wood Cemetery.

mysie

Hi Folks , i was reading about the grave of Private Robert Baird 2nd Batt KOSB at Delville Wood cemetery when i found another 45 men of the KOSB who were killed along with Robert at the battle of Falfemont Farm on 3/9/1916 . While doing some more reading on the battle i found that the KOSB lost over 100 men that day ,i know they never found some of the bodies but i was wondering could there be another cemetery close by where some more of them might be buried ,i would like to find a list of all the fallen men if that was possible.Any help would be great.

Thanks in advance.

Mary.

Hello Mary,

You can search it from the CWGC.

My own search came up with 114 men from 2nd Bn KOSB, including those that were later recovered from the battlefield and those on the Thiepval Memorial.

Phil

Hi Phil , thanks for your reply , i got the 45 names so far from the CWGC Delville Wood cemetery site, but do i need to sit and go through every CWGC site to find if there are any more, or is there any other way to find them.

Mary.

Hi Mary,

If you just put "King's Own Scottish Borderers" in the regiment field in the search engine of the CWGC site, select your date range (or just WW1), generate the query, and then press the "download results" button, you will get a CSV file which you can apply filters, sort, etc as an Excel spreadsheet.

Regards

Chris

Thank you very much Chris, i have been sitting trying to fathom out if i dont know their names or the names of cemeteries near by,how can i type in anything. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Mary.

Mary,

I put in 2nd Bn, Date and KOSB in the relevant fields, that way, there is very little sorting to do.

One thing to bear in mind, is that some of them may have died of wounds sustained at an earlier date, but you should be able to pick them out, if there are any.

It takes a little longer, but if you do use Geoff's Search Engine and copy and paste each page into Excel, you can preserve the individual links to the CWGC entries.

Phil

Hi Phil, thanks for your reply, i am afraid this is all to strange for me i have tried most of the day but no joy, i thought my Grandaughter would be able to crack it for me but she cant make sense of it either.But not to worry it was just a thought, my husbands mate's grandad was wounded at Falfemont and at the third battle of Ypres ,but his best mate Robert Baird was killed at Falemont .I was going to try and find all the names of the Falfemont fallen on 3/9/1916 and get my husbands mate to lay a wreath at his Grandfathers grave here in Falkirk.I will try and see if my daughter can crack it for me at the weekend . Thanks for all the replies.

Mary.

Hi Phil thanks for your kind offer, my daughter and son- inlaw, have both tried this afternoon but none of us can get anywhere all we get is no results found.So if you can email it to me that would be great. I have sat most of the afternoon just going through random CWGC cemeteries that were in the Somme area but have only found two on Thiepval.

Mary.

Mary,

I have saved your email address, so you can remove it if you want, to avoid spammers.

As soon as I have finished with Non-Comm Polo Players, I will sort out the file.

Phil