Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

T E Lawrence footage

yperman

Good morning

I have found what claims to be a complete collection of footage of T E Lawrence on you tube under Lawrence of Arabia Dengler 11. It includes Versailles and Lawrence working on the proto type RAF launches. It does ram home how different the man was from the O'Toole classic interpretation.

Yperman

He was originally rejected for joining up by the army for being too short - but kept on trying until they eventually relented .

Edited by KizmeRD

Good morning

It does ram home how different the man was from the O'Toole classic interpretation.

Yperman

A wonderful cinematic experience, but . . .

"The reactions of those who knew Lawrence and the other characters say much about the film's veracity. Its most vehement critic of its accuracy was Professor A.W.(Arnold) Lawrence, the protagonist's younger brother and literary executor, who had sold the rights to Seven Pillars of Wisdom to Spiegel for £25,000. Arnold Lawrence went on a campaign in the United States and Britain denouncing the film, famously saying, "I should not have recognised my own brother". In one pointed talk show appearance, he remarked that he had found the film "pretentious and false." He went on to say his brother was "one of the nicest, kindest and most exhilarating people I’ve known. He often appeared cheerful when he was unhappy." Later, to the New York Times, Arnold said, "[The film is] a psychological recipe. Take an ounce of narcissism, a pound of exhibitionism, a pint of sadism, a gallon of blood-lust and a sprinkle of other aberrations and stir well." Lowell Thomas was also critical of the portrayal of Lawrence and most of the film's characters, believing the train attack scenes were the only reasonably accurate aspect of the film."

(Wikipedia !)

It must be said that AW was a diligent protector of his brother's reputation. So much so that he actively sought to destroy the reputation of the author of the first biography which sought to look at the facts of TEL's life, war and writing.