Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Notre Dame De Lorette

Mark Hone

I haven't taken a tour group to Notre Dame De Lorette for a few years. I know that they've added a (controversial) new memorial but is the museum at the back still in operation? It gets a few fairly recent mentions on the 'net but I can't find a website for it. If it is still going does anyone know current admission price/contact details? I also notice references to an 'Interpretation Centre Souchez, Opening 2015'.

Many thanks as always. I'm putting together the itinerary for my next school tour. We shall be visiting Notre Dame and Cabaret Rouge, where an old boy of the school and a relative of one of the pupils on the tour are buried.

Is the road open? Last time I was there a few months back the main route was closed.

The last time I was there the road was closed, but it was in August, and they were working on the new memorial. However, even then there was a signposted route. The café next to the museum was open, and I can recommend the soup.

Bruce

Mark, if you remember your previous visit, just as you leave the main road to take the side road towards the Cemetery, there was a building which housed a museum. It had wall paintings on the outside, showing (among other scenes) a French soldier. This is where the new museum/interpretation centre is being built.

Tom

post-7-0-33318300-1416569309_thumb.jpg

Hello

The normal road up to Notre Dame de Lorrette is open again. I went there at the beginning of the week and it was somewhat busier than i have ever seen it. There were 9 coaches and about 50 cars there, all French, visiting the new memorial.

The memorial is receiving a great deal of publicity and promotion by the Nord pas de Calais tourist board, along with a number of over sites.

The old museum was open and they are making good progress on the new museum / interpretation centre. I will try and find our more exactly when it is planned to open the new centre.

Mark. I would be interested why you comment that the new memorial is controversial, I have not heard that before.

John

Thanks, John, please keep us informed. The new Memorial has attracted some criticism on this Forum, both in terms of its design and cost. I haven't seen it yet myself so can't comment.

Visited the Museum this year and last year in July. Adult ticket 5 Euros. Phone No 21 45 15 80. Very good I thought in the old style, heaps of stuff war and personal, some good displays with figures etc.

This year had to get there via the back route but would think the normal road is now open.

Visited on Sunday this year the restaurant was full and the museum was locked but by the time we had walked around the cemetery the chap who runs it had come back (from lunch?) and reopened.

The museum has a certain charm and I would hate to see it lose that if it is to be moved and revamped.

James

Apologies, the last thing that I wanted to do was stir up a hornet's nest about the new memorial at Notre Dame. I've definitely read someone querying the cost and style of the new structure (isn't that the fate of all such memorials, statues etc since ancient times?) unless I'm finally going doolally. Perhaps it wasn't on this Forum. Sorry if I've sent people on a wild goose chase. I'm looking forward to seeing the new memorial next year.

Mark

I do not feel that there is any need for apologies, I have found the thread you were referring to, it is here;

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=183863

I tend to agree with Terry, until the last week or so it was not possible to actually see the memorial as access was very restricted.

We are visiting the memorial next week with the "Chemins de Mémoire 14-18" and hopefully will be able to find out when the new interpretation centre will be open. My understanding, but could be wrong, is that the original museum will remain open after the new centre is opened.

John

Mark

As a follow up to the previous threads;

The new centre will be open in May 2015, it is not a museum rather an Interpretation Centre and Tourist Office. The original museum will still be open as it is in private hands.

We were told by the guide leading the tour that there are 40 nationalities represented on the memorial. I did request that if possible a list of those nationalities could be supplied.

I will be visiting again and will ask if there is a price reduction at the museum for groups

Kind regards

John

Thanks , John , keep us informed. I like to be able to take advantage of new developments on the battlefields: on this year's school tour we visited the excellent museum at Nieuwpoort, two days after it opened.

• 6 months later...

Is there any further news about the new developments at Notre Dame? I assume that the new visitor centre is now open. In the past I have just rolled up with my tour group but would I be advised to let them know we are coming? I now don't think that I'll have chance to do a preliminary recce before my visit in October.

Hi Mark

I assume you are referring to the new memorial just over the road from Notre Dame. There is no need to let anyone know as it is unmanned.

Some pictures here from my visit in March. A party of school children arrived as we were leaving.

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=225218&hl=

Mandy

Reading back up the thread, I realise you are probably asking about the building at the bottom of the road.

Edited by mandy hall

I visited Notre Dame de Lorette a few weeks ago, and visited the new memorial. Over half a million names on it. Did n't got to the museum, but there is a small exhibition above the Ossuaire. The guardians provide a welcome element of dignity to the place, and when you get them talking are full of information. A very dignified place, which shows the impact of the war, including a reminder that the war was a multicultural event. Go to the far end, near where the deer are, and there are numerous musilm graves.

Thanks for all the help. I will take the tip about the Muslim graves as a number of my tour party are Muslims.

• 3 months later...

I visited the newest museum today, which is on the main road at the bottom of the road up to Notre Dame de Lorette. It is not actually IN the building shown in post 5, but in a new, black forbidding-looking structure to the left of it. Extensive free parking at the back, though I missed that somehow - I blame the signposting in a new modern lower-case lettering and with no familiar blue and white logo for parking. In order to do better than I did on this, coming from the north, pass the black building on your left and also the old building, continuing towards Souchez about another 50 metres, then turn left down a small road that takes you down to the car parking area.

The place is labelled "LENS 14-18, centre d'histoire guerre et paix".

Admission is free. Closed on Monday, but otherwise open Tues-Sun 10-5. Can rent multilingual headsets for 3 euros.

I have only done the first of its four sections so far, as there is SO much to read. Many good photos to see, and some artefacts. It focuses on the fighting on Notre Dame de Lorette and Vimy Ridge, with some good animated maps to show the movement.

http://www.tourisme-lenslievin.fr/lens-14-18-centre-d-histoire-guerre-et-paix/souchez/tabid/9068/offreid/d599ac60-1394-4f41-82d8-382e17f3ef92/detail.aspx

However, I am not sure that a school party would get as much from it as from the more old-fashioned museum at the top of the hill, which is far more atmospheric and has some good reconstructions of dugouts etc. open daily 9-6 (Apr-Sept until 7). Admission 5 euros, children 3 euros. http://www.musee1418.com/#!presentation-du-musee/c1tao

On the subject of the new NDL memorial, the "Anneau de la Mémoire", I found it very moving to see all those names. It's free access; you walk down a ramp through a small tunnel and emerge into the circle in the open, with views down towards Souchez etc.

Angela

(Edited to correct exact title of new museum)

Thanks for this. We shall be going on a Monday so the new museum won't be open. We are likely to be very pushed for time so I shall have to think carefully about what is best to see.

Angela, thanks for the information; I'm not a big fan of museums but the new memorial sounds like a must the next time I'm in the area.

Pete.

• 3 weeks later...

Summing up ... for an upcoming visit (as soon as I have the new camera)

Notre Dame de Lorette Cemetery and Memorial, with the Musée Vivant, the Musée Targette and the battlefield visit

Lens with the new memorial = Anneau de la Mémoire and the Centre d'Histoire et de la Paix.

and some cemeteries... need to make a map ...

MM.

• 2 weeks later...

I was up there last week I think the trench system they have is by far the best makes Hill 62 look very amateurish ..they have just done it all up as it was in a film and its very realistic