Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Private M2/019784 Percival Henry Slater Army Service Corps.

agedpink1

Any information please on

Private M2/019784 Percival Henry Slater Army Service Corps. Died of wounds at the No 8 General Hospital Rouen on Friday 18th December 1914 aged 32.

Regards Richard

Richard,

I have just spent a quarter of an hour searching records on your behalf to find that you have already been given that information last September on the following thread: http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=217827

You'll find that most people on here are very willing to help (especially when they see someone with few posts, who is perhaps need of some help and guidance) but few of us like our time wasted!

PLEASE!

Resurrect the old thread and ask for any further help you need on there, or at least summarise what others have already done for you on any new thread you start.

Thanks,

Bob.

He was awarded the Victory and British Medals and the 1914/15 Star. Date of entry 1st December 1914 - died one week later on 8th December. His MIC and the RASC Roll are available on Ancestry.

Here is his entry on Soldiers Died in the Great War, again on Ancestry:

Name: Percy Henry Slater

Birth Place: Derby

Residence: Derby

Death Date: 8 Dec 1914

Death Place: France and Flanders

Enlistment Place: Derby

Regiment: Army Service Corps

Regimental Number: M2/019784

Type of Casualty: Died

Theatre of War: Western European Theatre

He's recorded at the CWGC - interestingly with the words "Died of disease" crossed out and two other dates of his death on the grave registration documents - 18th and 19th December, as well as the 8th on a headstone document. There is also a headstone engraving by a Mrs M Duncan of 88 Carnington Street, Derby:

"Dear is the grave / Where he is laid / Sweet is the memory / That will never fade". You may be able to locate Mrs Duncan on Ancestry via the censuses.

Mike

Richard,

I have just spent a quarter of an hour searching records on your behalf to find that you have already been given that information last September on the following thread: http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=217827

You'll find that most people on here are very willing to help (especially when they see someone with few posts, who is perhaps need of some help and guidance) but few of us like our time wasted!

PLEASE!

Resurrect the old thread and ask for any further help you need on there, or at least summarise what others have already done for you on any new thread you start.

Thanks,

Bob.

Thanks Bob for flagging this. I should have followed my instinct and asked - what do you know so far? And perhaps remembered that I replied in September! Lesson learnt.

Mike

Never mind - I'm sure Richard didn't mean any harm. It takes a while to get to know how the forum works.

I'm away this weekend so I can't help him much more. Hopefully he'll get any further info he needs!