Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

towisuk

Just received a letter from my MP with a photocopy of a letter from the Treasury regarding the VAT on the poppies at the Tower, it explained that the VAT was to be waived

and money from Libor fines used to make up what they would have received in tax.

My letter of protest was sent on 17th September, so like to think it may have played some small part in drawing attention to this topic.

Just out of interest..... how many other forum members contacted their MP or wrote direct to the treasury about this tax on charity...it would be nice to know that we (forum members) had a movement that was in some way responsible for making the authorities aware of the situation...AND contributing around 1.1Million pounds extra to charity

regards

Tom

There's a lot of anomalies in the system Derek.....but it takes a few minutes to contact your local MP to voice your opinions (I use email), and if enough people do the same to their MP's then at least an attempt has been made for change.

There is still a few years to run whilst the Centenary of The Great War is in the headlines.... no better time to raise the subject.

regards

Tom

Edited by Kate Wills

I work for a charity which has to pay VAT on much of its work.

Is there a good reason why some charities should pay VAT and others shouldn't? What makes (say) the RBL more deserving than (say) Guide Dogs for the Blind? Who gets to choose?

My point is, and I'm sorry to say this, that although I am happy that the government has decided to waive VAT in this case, it is extremely unfair to other charities who will be expected still to pay.

New war memorials incur VAT.

A deplorable state of affairs.

Why is it to be deplored?

Wouldnt it be an anomaly if, for some reason, a war memorial construction was to be exempted from VAT when, for example, a grave headstone is standard rated?

Two posts have been edited on this thread as they trespass upon the current politics rule. Please take care when posting replies.

We live in a real world with real problems, my comment on how the Government (who make the rules) could be influenced, by members registering their disquiet on the way certain things appertaining to the Great War and charities are taxed. No particular political organisation was mentioned, in fact we have no idea who will make the decisions after 1915.

It was a just a comment on how we can bring pressure to bear for what I consider to be unjust (my own opinion)...see post #1......

My post relates to what this forum is concerned with....The Great Wars history, the people involved, and it's remembrance...

Back to the question in post #1, any other forum members who took up the baton and registered their disquiet on the VAT that the poppies were open to???

my best regards

Tom

Why is it to be deplored?

Wouldnt it be an anomaly if, for some reason, a war memorial construction was to be exempted from VAT when, for example, a grave headstone is standard rated?

Because it find it morally wrong.

Don't get me wrong though, if only memorials were excempt as you say it would be unfair, however there's a lot more i'd like to see free from Value Added Tax if a list were being made up.

I also agree special arrangements in one case or another is equally unfair as Steven mentioned.

I recall the hugely expensive Bomber Command memorial getting the vat paid for by the tax payer after public outrage, something over half a million quid i think it was?

Cheers,

Derek.

Two posts have been edited on this thread as they trespass upon the current politics rule. Please take care when posting replies.

Kate

Inherently, this thread is current politics. The initial post talks of "protest" at Government policy in levying a particular tax in a particular way and clearly applauds the political action of contributors who may have contacted their MP or the Treasury. It is hard to think of any post which can be added to this thread which will not be current politics.

At the time of me posting this, with the exception of yours, every post is clearly addressing a political subject. Please, either allow a discussion of the issue or close the thread.

John