Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help with 1914 -19 Hussars, MGC (Cav) & Tank Corps man

The Guardroom

Hi all, Hoping someone can help in this area as not my area of knowledge. Helping my kids school teacher look into their Grandfathers history and managed to find the following, but as always creates more questions.

If anyone can help answer some of them , would help a lot. First the man:

William Riddnell 9672 19th Hussars, then transferred to MGC(Cav) as 51421 and then believe he served in the Tank Corps up to 1925 under reg no: 7816356.

His service records exist which show he landed early with the 19 H on the 23rd Aug 14. Can anyone help confirm on look up please?

Question: when did he transfer to the MGC with that reg no? Also was he likely to be in tanks straight away?

Question: I also found a page on him in the tank corps and it says he had 2 SWB numbers - B2067 s/n M/88/CJ/988 & B2079 s/n BAU/1386C? Is this for SWB ???? If so can anyone help look up please?

As always, if anyone can help in these questions / look ups or can even help further on William, it would be a great assistance.

Many thanks,

Alan

The MIC has a date of transfer of 9 Oct 1916,aren't you lucky ! I take that to be from the Hussars to the MGC. The MIC also gives a date of 23 Aug 1914 as first landing in France.Two Squadrons landed then, A went to 5 Division and B went to 4 Division,beginning their war at Mons and Le Cateau.

I looked in the SWB Lists and there isn't an entry for this soldier.

I understand that the 781 series of Tank Corps number were issued to those who served with the Regular Army after 1919.

The most likely explanation is that he was in the machine-gun section of 19th Hussars, and transferred to the MGC(Cav) some time in 1915 when regimental MG Sections were consolidated into brigade MG squadrons. He may then have joined the MGC Heavy Branch, later renamed the Tank Corps.

Ron

Hello,

He also mentioned on a page on the 'Find My Past' website. The entry states:

Sick and wounded men of the Expeditionary Force, France.

Cavalry Record Office York.

9672 Riddnell, W. 19th Hussars Maching Gun Sec. Debility......

Trans to: 5th Con Dep Boulogne ex 8. St H. Wimereux 15th March 1916.

Mick.

9672 Riddnell, W. 19th Hussars Maching Gun Sec. Debility......

Trans to: 5th Con Dep Boulogne ex 8. St H. Wimereux 15th March 1916.

Just in case you need it: 5th Convalescent Depot.... and ex.8 Stationary Hospital...