Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Loos Museum and Double Crassier

Mark Hone

Does anyone know what the current state of play is with the museum in Loos? In 2005 I took my battlefield tour group there and we had a guided tour of the museum and a memorable, if slightly alarming, trip up the Double Crassier in the coach. I notice that one of the school tour companies is advertising visits to the Crassier on one of its itineraries but I can't find any contact details on the 'net.

Incidentally a tour guide I spoke to at the Ulster Tower over the Summer gave me the impression that schools weren't booking themed centenary tours which some of the companies had introduced; on the whole they just wanted the standard Ypres and Somme highlights package.

Thanks as always for any help given. Forum Pals have been invaluable in assisting with planning my school tours over the years.

• Admin

Gilles is the man you need to ask, I'm sure a PM would work if he doesn't pick this up

Michelle

Bonjour Michelle

i confirm possible to visit all battlefield

museum + double crassier

by please by appointment a.villedieu@wanadoo.fr

gilles payen Loos sur les traces de la grande guerre

Thank you so much. I am now in touch with Gilles. We shall be focussing particularly on the story of Bury VC George Peachment.

There certainly is and I was present at the service of dedication a few years ago. I was proud to be mistaken on that occasion for a general! George Peachment is also commemorated on the war memorial at St Chad's Primary School in Bury. His headmaster there was Mr Hugh Morris, three of whose sons, including champion schoolboy athlete William Morris, served in the war as officers in the Lancashire Fusiliers and are featured in various threads on this Forum.

A few years ago a story appeared claiming that George had lied about his age when enlisting and was in fact the youngest-ever VC winner. While he does look astonishingly young in the widely published photograph of him in uniform, I recall that the veracity of the article was quickly undermined.