Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

43 Squadron RAF 1918

Tom Tulloch-Marshall

Not my subject at all, but I'm looking (I'm having to look) at a couple of RAF squadrons during 1918, and I'm having some problems. Firstly No 43 (Fighter) Squadron about April - May 1918.

At some point early May (?) they move from northern Artois to the south - about Avesnes. Can anybody say exactly when this happened and, was the move made by the squadron in-toto or were sections of the squadron flying from both areas at some time ?

Also, has anybody ever looked at 43 Sqdn casualties in detail about this period ?

Tom

Hi Tom

I have 43 Sqn moving from La Gorgue to Avesnes-le-Comte on 22 March 1918 under 13 Wing, 3 Brigade, coming under control of 51 Wing, 9 Brigade on 4 April (but staying at Avesnes-le-Comte) and moving to Fouquerolles on 3 June, still with 51 Wing, 9 Brigade. As far as I am aware, the squadron moved en-masse both times.

Are you interested in any specific casualties? The squadron appears to have suffered 20 casualties in the period 25 March to 30 May 1918.

Graeme

Graeme - please bear with me on this because areas of TNA which are prefixed "AIR" and "ADM" are foreign territory to me :unsure:

The 43 Squadron history in AIR1/1420/204/30/6 shows them (as you say) at La Gorgue 15/1/18 till 23/3/18, then moving to Avesnes le Comte same date, and staying there till 3/6/18. However (and this is what is throwing me) the squadron combat reports in AIR1/1424/204/30/19 include reports of offensive patrols as follows >

May - Area

3rd - Vieux Berquin

8th - SE of Bailleul

9th - S of Foret de Nieppe

9th - E of Albert

9th - SE of La Gorgue

15th - Croiselles

If the squadron is based in Avesnes le Comte then only two of those make any sense geographically. Why would (how could) a squadron based at Avesnes have aircraft flying near Bailleul or the Foret de Nieppe ?

Initially I had been looking at AH Whitford-Hawkey Kia 9/5/18 apparently near Albert, but then I noticed in "The Sky Their Battlefield" TM O'Neil of 43 Sqdn Kia 8/5/18 "eBAILLEUL". Both are on the Arras Flying Memorial, so no burial clues to the location of death. Where would this information as to where they were shot down have come from ? (I didn't see anything obvious in the AIR1 files. I have tried to contact TH directly, but without success).

Tom

This is still giving me a problem so I'll bump it back up. Both of the men mentioned above appear in The Sky Their Battlefield so their must be a source (?).

Tom

Tom,

I would guess that the information comes from the Casualty and Incident Reports, that are now available online here.

I can find O'Neil's and it definitely records "East of Bailleul". I haven't been able to find the cards for Whitford-Hawkey, so far.

Edit: I have now found Whitford- Hawkey's incident card - "Believed to have been shot down in flames SE of Albert"

Edited by Phil Evans

The full casualty report for O'Neill is in AIR 1/855/... and records 'last seen E of Bailleul'. This is not the location of the crash, which I think answers your query

Also appears in the Casualty book in AIR 1/969/... and the casualty cards referred to above

Hi Tom

Sorry for the late reply, but for some reason my browser wasn't showing any updates on the Forum - seems to be sorted now, though.

I must admit I hadn't noticed the anomaly in regards locations of 43 Sqn's aerodromes and the areas mentioned in their combat reports and would suspect that there has been a recording error with regards to the squadron's move. I'll have a dig around and see if I can find anything that might clear things up.

Graeme

I would guess that the information comes from the Casualty and Incident Reports, that are now available online here.

:thumbsup:

The full casualty report for O'Neill is in AIR 1/855/...

Also appears in the Casualty book in AIR 1/969/...

AIR1/855/204/5/406 and AIR1/969/204/5/1101 (?) - I'll check them out next time I'm in TNA - thanks.

... I must admit I hadn't noticed the anomaly in regards locations of 43 Sqn's aerodromes and the areas mentioned in their combat reports and would suspect that there has been a recording error with regards to the squadron's move. I'll have a dig around and see if I can find anything that might clear things up.

I'm at a disadvantage here because I don't have any great knowledge about the aircraft of the period, but the distances involved did look a bit odd to me (too great). I also wonder if a move date has been miss-recorded and then that error has just been repeated through the document chain ?

Tom

On 9th May 43Sq also lost Camel D6588 brought down by AA fire during a practice formation flight.

The location of the crash is given as Sht 36A.36c.4.2 so that should give a clue as to their location

All of the casualty reports and the casualty books have been transcribed and can be downloaded from www.airhistory.org.uk/rfc/

Transcripts of the RAF Museum casualty cards, including serials etc will be available in about a fortnight

... The location of the crash is given as Sht 36A.36c.4.2 so that should give a clue as to their location

All of the casualty reports and the casualty books have been transcribed and can be downloaded from www.airhistory.org.uk/rfc/

The www address is showing "page cannot be displayed". Also - is that map ref correct ?

Tom

On 9th May 43Sq also lost Camel D6588 brought down by AA fire during a practice formation flight.

The location of the crash is given as Sht 36A.36c.4.2 so that should give a clue as to their location

Is there a way of checking that map reference? There is something wrong with it. I checked it on the casrep database on the RFC site and that is how it has been transcribed.

Phil

This still seems to be something of a muddle with regards to the accuracy of the source documents, but I think enough information has been posted (TNA refs etc) to allow me to resolve the particular problem which I had ref some of the 43 Sqdn men.

This moves me on to my next RAF related problem which concerns an entry in The Sky Their Battlefield which refers to a particular aircraft heading to a particular destination when it is shot down. I've been through docs indexed in AIR1 which seemed relevant, but I cant find any reference to the destination given, - and this confirmation is a matter of some importance. - No 6 Sqdn during 1918.

If anybody thinks they may be able to help with this could they please contact me off forum via famousraider AT btinternet.com

Tom

• 3 years later...

Capt H W Woollett claimed an Albatros Scout as crashed south of La Gorgue at 15:15/16:15 and Lieut G G Bailey another that broke up in the air south of Nieppe Forest; both combats quoted as being at 15:15 (British time)/16:15 (German time).  Woollett shot down a balloon in flames north-east of La Gorgue at 15:20/16:20 and Lieut G D Daly claimed a Fokker triplane out of control east of Albert at 19:00/20:00.

Graeme