Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

16 Kings Royal Rifles - Leicester CLB Photos

simonshute

I added some of this information to the end of the 16 KRRC High Wood thread but I now have further photographs so thought it was worth starting a topic in its own right as I know there are a number of members with an interest in the 16th KRRC and the Church Lads Brigade. I'm also aware of a topic researching the Leicester contingent of the CLB regiment. I'll try to post a link to this on that thread.

Some of these photos have recently come to light courtesy of my cousin in Australia. The commentray is taken from the notes made by my Grandad against each photo. My Grandad Harry Hancock c990 is on the front row, 2nd from the right in this photo. Frank Pickering c987 (see High Wood topic) is on the front row 3rd from the left. The Granby Street Picture Palace written on the side of the hut was in Leicester. The photograph was taken at Perham Down.

post-57004-0-94657300-1416341638_thumb.j

This photograph is titled Leicester Boys, 16th KRRC, Rayleigh, Essex, 1915

Harry is on the 2nd row fourth from the right. Frank Pickering on the back row 2nd from the left.

post-57004-0-65082700-1416342194_thumb.j

Grandad with three of his mates. Not sure if they are all KRRC.

From my Grandads notes they are back left Walt Yorke, front right Phil Symonds, front left Edgar Smith. From my limited research so far I think the spellings are not quite right and should be Walter York and Philip Symons. All were from Aylestone in Leicester. I think Walter was KRRC, not sure about Phil and Edgar yet.

Some help with the multitude of chevrons would be appreciated!

post-57004-0-69771700-1416342821_thumb.j

This picture is titled Leicester Boys Reunion at what looks like Peowell Home, March 6th 1950. My Grandad attended the Denham reunion every year until the early seventies, not sure if this was taken as part of that gathering. Harry is middle row, 2nd from the left.

post-57004-0-76992400-1416343289_thumb.j

Thats it for now I do have some more photograhs of Harry as a POW which I will put in a topic on the POW section when I get the time. I know quite a lot about Harry's war time journey but there is always more to do and these photographs have got me interested in his mates and the Leicester group generally. I still live in Leicester so feel very attached.

I hope everyone enjoys these photographs, I could hardly contain myself when they started to arrive from 'down under'

Grandad with three of his mates. Not sure if they are all KRRC.

From my Grandads notes they are back left Walt Yorke, front right Phil Symonds, front left Edgar Smith. From my limited research so far I think the spellings are not quite right and should be Walter York and Philip Symons. All were from Aylestone in Leicester. I think Walter was KRRC, not sure about Phil and Edgar yet.

Some help with the multitude of chevrons would be appreciated!

attachicon.gifHarry, top right, with his close army mates Walt Yorke (standing), Phil Symonds, (sitting left) and Edgar Smith - all from Aylestone. Walt and Phil survived the bullets only to die of TB..jpg

Walt Yorke appears to be a L/Cpl with 3 or 4? overseas service chevrons on his right forearm. Harry is also a L/Cpl with two wound stripes on his left forearm. Phil is a Sgt and Walt appears to have Good Conduct Stripes ? on each forearm and four overseas service chevrons on his right lower forearm also one wound stripe on his left lower forearm.

I am sure that someone will be along soon with a better explanation of the insignia--particularly the Good Conduct stripes?

Robert

PS Great pictures by the way--thanks for sharing these.

• 3 weeks later...