Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Bedford Yeomanry

Guest Hdopson

I am trying to find info about my grandfather William Hurry who I believe was in the Bedford Yeomanry. The only small tips I have is that maybe he was cavalry and after the horse died he was tasked as a batman to an officer. Also there are stories of him being only one of three that survived in the brigade and that at some point he was disciplined for hitting a sergeant by being strapped to a gun carriage for 24 hours. Plus an eye injury. He survived the war. Any info on where they fought would be helpful.

Hi Hdopson,

Welcome to the Forum.

According to his MIC your grandfather served with the Bedford Yeomanry in France from 10/6/15. His service numbers were 1287 and 30397. Unfortunately his service record does not appear to have survived so it may not be possible to confirm the details which you give.

Hope this helps,

Robert

The Befordshire Yeomanry has a nice little history. Sadly, it appears not to have been reprinted so a copy will set you back a few quid on the dealers' market.

Little known, I'm sorry to say. I can tell you that he enlisted at Bedford on 11th September 1914 and went out with the first draft of the Bedfordshire Yeomanry to France from Southampton on 9th June 1915, landing at Le Havre on 10th June. The BY spent their whole war in France apart from a brief foray into Belgium in 1915. There are no first hand records for the BY apart from (i) discharge papers (ii) service papers for those transferring to another regiment. To find out about entries in the defaulters book, you would need a service record.

What information do you have about William ? I haven't been able to identify him positively. I note that (at least) his British War Medal and Victory were returned under reg 1743 - do you know if these were re-issued and/or if the 1915 star survives.

Best

David