Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

ARMY SERVICE CORP SENT TO SALONKA AS REINFORCEMENT 30.1.17

French Ray

1 hour ago, Gardenerbill said:

Something else doesn't quite add up though, the newspaper cutting posted by BillyH suggests he was in the ASC in December 1914, however his service number was allocated in the latter months of 1915, a check on near numbers will confirm this. 

He actually enlisted with the ASC on 26th August 1913 (from SWB record) - see post # 44

He probably had his original Territorial number replaced at some point before going overseas. Probably later in 1915 as you say.

I can't find any service papers for him, we may never know what his original number was?

BillyH.

3 minutes ago, BillyH said:

He actually enlisted with the ASC on 26th August 1913 (from SWB record) - see post # 44

He probably had his original Territorial number replaced at some point before going overseas. Probably later in 1915 as you say.

I can't find any service papers for him, we may never know what his original number was?

BillyH.

Shot in the dark Billy.

Is he in the AVL for Birkenhead?

It's just possible that he might have given his earlier number, but in any case, it might give his ASC company.

2 hours ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

Is he in the AVL for Birkenhead?

Good thought DBS, the snag is the AVL is currently locked down in Birkenhead Library. :(

BillyH.

7 minutes ago, BillyH said:

Good thought DBS, the snag is the AVL is currently locked down in Birkenhead Library. :(

I thought the lockdown had ended on Merseyside last weekend?:whistle:

I am not of that persuasion Dai, we haven't celebrated for 25 years!

BillyH.

32 minutes ago, BillyH said:

I am not of that persuasion Dai, we haven't celebrated for 25 years!

BillyH.

Oops!

Once again, thank you for your help. I do really appreciate the assistance - it's certainly more than I could have expected! It's interesting to hear about the Turkey possibilities. I can remember my grandmother telling my a story about when he was guarding POW - they escaped, and he was tied to a wagon wheel for hours as punishment. It would be fantastic to learn about where he was posted - are all hopes of finding out lost? I still have his helmet, too - I've attached a picture of it. Does this number bear any significance? The helmet has a large dent in the top (unfortunately, I don't know the story behind it). If his original number were to surface, what could it reveal? Apologies, I am very much a novice.

Thanks.

IMG_20200628_205442.jpg

If you have an Ancestry account you can search the medal rolls including the Territorial Force Medal roll, might give his unit. 

1 hour ago, Gardenerbill said:

If you have an Ancestry account you can search the medal rolls including the Territorial Force Medal roll, might give his unit. 

Nothing on the Territorial Force Medal Roll.

edit The wagon wheel punishment is termed 'Field Punishment No.1'  -  try googling it.

BillyH.

Edited by BillyH

Here is a picture of the symbol on the side of the helmet. Fascinating about the punishment - I didn't think there'd be a proper term for it! Is there a possibility that some records might be under Charles S McDonald, given that Stanley was his middle name? I've also posted an image of a lighter (Medical Corps) and a button. I don't know what significance they hold.

Thanks.

IMG_20200701_091646 (3).jpg

IMG_20200701_091633 (2).jpg

IMG_20200701_091705 (1).jpg

Unfortuately the symbol painted on the helmet doesn't match any of the Salonika division patches, but it looks like the helmet may have been over painted, also I would have expected a tropical issue (Pith) helmet. 

I've also just found these medical records. Service number is very close (the 2 is missing) and ASC. States that he's a driver. It seems plausible that this is him.

This is the transcript...

First name(s)    S
Last name    McDonald
Age    22
Birth year    1896
Service number    T4/21489
Rank    Driver
Corps    Army Service Corps
Admission year    1918
Admission date    17 Oct 1918
Hospital    No 31 Casualty Clearing Station
Description    British other ranks.
Transferred to    AT
Transfer year    1918
Transfer date    17 Oct 1918
Country    Great Britain
Archive    
The National Archives
Piece    MH 106/603
Series description    War Office: First World War Representative Medical Records of Servicemen
Register type    Hospital admission and discharge registers
Record year range    1918 Sept. 30-Dec. 15
Record set    British Armed Forces, First World War Soldiers' Medical Records
Category    Military, armed forces & conflict
Subcategory    First World War
Collections from    Great Britain, UK NoneS2_GBM_MH106_MH106-603_0021.jpg

Edited by rsp1991

17 minutes ago, rsp1991 said:

Is there a possibility that some records might be under Charles S McDonald, given that Stanley was his middle name?

Yes there is. You'll have to consider all such possibilities when furthering your research, including the possibility of Mc and Mac.

That red triangle will be a dead giveaway for the insignia experts here, but not me.

The first badge is American, the second clearly RAMC.

The helmet in that configuration is, at best, late 1930's, and essentially WW2 era...

That's a good find.

Where was the hospital?

His entry says "ASC att. 8(6)? Sur. Coy  Age 22 Diagnosis NYD (P)  [Not yet diagnosed   -?Pyrexia]

Adjacent entries are for East Surrey Regiment, Buffs and Gloucester Regiments and 779 Coy ASC, plus other batteries of the RGA and RFA that are easily locatable.

779 Coy ASC were in Egypt (22Ammunition Park) and Salonika (98 Auxiliary MT Coy) but without looking at the War Diaries, I can't say when.

33 minutes ago, Andrew Upton said:

The helmet in that configuration is, at best, late 1930's, and essentially WW2 era...

Thank you for your help. I'm not sure who it belonged to if it's WW2, no one on that side of the family fought in that era. This just makes the research more difficult :blink:

Edited by rsp1991

57 minutes ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

That's a good find.

Where was the hospital?

His entry says "ASC att. 8(6)? Sur. Coy  Age 22 Diagnosis NYD (P)  [Not yet diagnosed   -?Pyrexia]

Adjacent entries are for East Surrey Regiment, Buffs and Gloucester Regiments and 779 Coy ASC, plus other batteries of the RGA and RFA that are easily locatable.

779 Coy ASC were in Egypt (22Ammunition Park) and Salonika (98 Auxiliary MT Coy) but without looking at the War Diaries, I can't say when.

The hospital isn't stated, but after some Google searches, it seems that No 31 CCS was located in Yanesh (Janes) between August 1916 and October 1918. It's 35 miles north of Salonika. It could be possible that his wounds actually in fact nephritis, from which he was discharged from the army. I'll have to start researching the war diaries to find out more information. At last, I seem to be getting somewhere!

Hi all,

I just want to provide an update on my research. I have since discovered that ASC att. 8(6)? Sur. Coy" (as stated on my GGF's medical file) most likely means he was attached (att.) to the 8th Field Survey Company of the Royal Engineers - attached meaning that he probably served with 8th temporarily (not sure)? The 8th FSC were in Salonika from 1st Jan 1917 to 31st Mar 1919. I've found a war diary for this division on the Royal Engineers Museum website (https://www.re-museum.co.uk), but unfortunately, the download is an unreadable html file.

Thank you for help - it's greatly appreciated.