The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

topdeer

I have had a group of medals in my collection for sometime now but can not find this man any were in the London Gazette. As he was award the Imperial Service Medal GVI. His name is George William Smith Rank Bombardier number 20389 RHA & RFA. The name Smith is not the best to look up but I need someone who knows how to find them in the London Gazette. Can anyone help me please? Thank you

If it's an ISM it's likely it was for some form of civilian service - usually nothing to do with the armed forces.

Do you know his civilian occupation?

Rgds

Tim D

Try looking in local papers too , if you get a date you can go back to the gazette

Worth finding an example of any one to see what format the names are in ie Arthur John Jones or Arthur j Jones

From what I can gather Smith, George William. I can't find an ISM for even a George Smith though.

Sounds like a job for Stebie.....

He has service papers. Enlisted in 1901, Reserve 1910, called up 1914, discharged unfit 1919. 25 years at least civilian service required for an ISM so date of award probably after 1944. Address post war looks to be Under Lincoln.

Rgds

Tim D

Looked on Google under "Smith George William" and "Gazette" and found 2 possibles with a GVI ISM -

11.4.1941 Postman, Grimsby

1.10.1948 Skilled Workman, Class II, Bradford telephone area.

Tony

Postal appointment books are on Ancestry, British Postal Museum and Archives holds various staff magazines and the like which might help to confirm if they are one and the same.