Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Bessoneau hangars

dawrana

I am trying to identify a WWI RFC photograph. The hangar in the background (see attached photograph) should by all accounts be a Bessoneau type. However, most images I can source on the internet do not seem to feature the air vents. Does this mean there was more than one type? Does the presence of the air vents here help to identify the date of the photograph? Or, even better, the Squadron using the hangar? Perhaps someone has seen other photographs in which the vented hangar appears? Thank you very much.

post-56645-0-89489600-1416316838_thumb.j

• 2 weeks later...

It would be nice to see the whole picture if you could oblige, dawrana.

I am trying to identify a WWI RFC photograph. The hangar in the background (see attached photograph) should by all accounts be a Bessoneau type. However, most images I can source on the internet do not seem to feature the air vents. Does this mean there was more than one type? Does the presence of the air vents here help to identify the date of the photograph? Or, even better, the Squadron using the hangar? Perhaps someone has seen other photographs in which the vented hangar appears? Thank you very much.

Hi

'Aircraft Archive - Aircraft of World War One' Volume 3, pages 93-95 (Argus Books, 1989), has drawings and some photos that show the Bessonneau with vents. it also states that there were three other sizes produced as well as the main one used by the RFC/RAF (20m x 24m), there were also other variations, eg. rigging inside (flat sided) or outside the buttresses (slope sided).

As for 'when' the aircraft type and squadron would narrow that down. As you have 5 Sqn. you can check up the aircraft type, if it is on the full photo, and look up, if you can in 'RAF Squadrons' by C G Jefford, Airlife 2001, page 28, or similar sources. From this type of source you will find what type of aircraft served when and their 'home' airfield with dates. However, if the aircraft is just 'visiting' another airfield then it will not give location.

I hope that helps.

Mike