The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Guest mistydawn

On 6th June 1918 the 128 gross ton steamship SS Olwen left Swansea with a cargo of coal, bound for Cherbourg. She did not arrive at Cherbourg and nothing was heard from her so she was reported as ‘missimg’

Dave

Some discrepances with this one, your Gt. Uncle and the RNR rating are listed on the CWGC site as died on 11/06/1918, the ship is shown as S.V. Olwen. There are five more casualties listed as died 08/06/1918 on SS Olwen.

These are recorded in the BoT records as Olwen O.N. 98977, Swansea, a sail powered schooner of 125gt. built 1891. I believe these vessels are one and the same, and I cannot find a steam ship of that name around on that date.

Terry

They are one and the same. Olwen was a steel-hulled three-masted schooner built in 18981 by Ardrossan Shipbuilding Co. that was retrofitted with an auxiliary oil motor. Because she had an auxiliary motor, she's listed in the “steamer” section of Lloyd’s Register of Shipping.

Best wishes,

Michael

Then it seems some contact with the Olwen on the 11th June 1918 was/is known of - perhaps there is more information still to be found?

Terry

... and there is.....

http://www.naval-history.net/xDKCas1918-06Jun.htm

Tuesday, 11 June 1918
Olwen, sailing vessel, submarine action
MCKENNA, James, Leading Seaman, RNR, A 4971, DAMS gunner
SMITTON, Walter, Able Seaman, RNVR, Mersey Z 899, killed

Wrecksite http://www.wrecksite.eu/wreck.aspx?205709 quote the source as Lloyds Casualty Returns, so "something" must be known - perhaps an enquiry to Lloyds Register of Shipping might produce the knowledge?

http://www.benjidog.co.uk/Tower%20Hill/WW1%20Oilfield%20to%20Orator.html

Olwen: It is difficult to confirm the details of Olwen, but I believe that she was a 128 GRT steam cargo ship that left Swansea on 6 June 1918 bound for Cherbourg with a cargo of coal but not heard of thereafter. There were no survivors
UK and Commonwealth Merchant Navy Seamen Recorded as Lost on Olwen
Surname Forename Age Honours/Awards D.O.D Rank Cemetery/Memorial Grave Ref Additional Information
Camm Felix Tom 29 08/06/1918 Mate Tower Hill Memorial Son of Celia Ann Camm, of Epney, near Stonehouse, Gloucestershire. Born at Gloucester.
Neibla Joseph 35 08/06/1918 Engineer Tower Hill Memorial Husband of Freda Neibla (Nee Ayre), of 1, Waterloo St., Swansea. Born in Spain.
Neilsen John 29 08/06/1918 Able Seaman Tower Hill Memorial (may have been named Neilson). Born at Copenhagen.
Stamp Richard 16 08/06/1918 Cook Tower Hill Memorial Son of Catherine Stamp (nee Williams), of Epney, Framilode, Stonehouse, Glos., and the late Thomas Stamp.
Stamp Thomas 50 08/06/1918 Master Tower Hill Memorial Son of Richard and Rosamond Stamp, of Epney; Husband of Catherine Stamp, of Epney, Frampton-on-Severn, Gloucester.
I noticed that a father and his son (the Stamps) and Camm all are from the village of Epney in Gloucestershire, so there may be some newspaper references at the time.

OK, found my notes on this one. The bodies of four of the crew washed up at Illogan, Cornwall about June 11, 1918. The correct sailing date is apparently the 8th.

Best wishes,

Michael

thanks a lot guys. The info was very informative. I will get back to you all later with some info that I have. Received from Truro regarding the bodies washed ashore etc.