Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

"Died of wounds" in the UK

Albert Ross

I am researhing an ancestor Pte. Arthur G Jarman, D Company, 1st Bn. Somerset Light Infantry. Records state he died of wounds at Bath (UK military hospital?) 2nd June 1915 aged just 21, and is buried at Greenbank cemetery, Bristol. I wondered if there is any more information available on how he was wounded - the time frame indicates the 2nd battle of Ypres which was the first time the Germans used chlorine gas.....was his unit in the line when this happened?

21 years old - he knew more about death then he did about life. RIP

Hello Albert

As he died in the UK there should be a death certificate in the normal way. I don't know how much detail it will give as to cause, but there should be something to go on.

Ron

I haven't got the WD for the 1st SLI but if you check the medal rolls you may be lucky. If he was a native of Bristol (which his MIC would suggest)he may

even be mentioned in the local newspapers or you may have to apply for his death certificate. His MIC also has a typo as it says he arrived in theatre in Aug 1915.

I was at Greenbank Cemetery a few weeks ago paying my respects to my Great Grandfather and took a few photos of headstones and the screen walls

while I was there. Arthur's headstone was one of them. If you are not local and haven't seen it I can post it for you.

Regards,

Simon.

I'd recommend the local newspaper for detail regarding his wounds and death.

Derek.

Presuming he has a war grave, the recently available documents on CWGC sometimes give further evidence of what men died of. For example one that I was researching recently and who is buried in our local churchyard had Died of Wounds (Gas).

CWGC also shows "died of wounds" , SDGW shows born St Andrews Bristol enlisted Bath.

Have you looked for his service papers ?