Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Gallipoli war diaries not digitized

LinaMoffitt

Is it a coincidence or deliberate that only one of the many Gallipoli war diaries are not digitized yet by the National Archives?

frustrating at any rate.

Lina

Most have been digitised but have been withdrawn.

2nd Mtd Div

10th Div*

11th Div*

13th Div* (except 40 Bde for some bizarre reason)

29th Div*

54th Dv (TF)

Not previously digitised:

52nd Div

53rd Div

42nd Div

RND

29th Indian Bde

A number of old soaks have the original digitised diaries, so if you are looking for anything specific a general yell for help on the Gallipoli sub-forum will usually yield something. MG

* very detailed. Also the Brigade diaries are included which are packed with info for these formations.

I think I recall hearing that the (re)digitisation of the Gallipoli diaries was being handled as a separate project. Ancestry springs to mind, but that may not be correct.

• 4 weeks later...

I am delighted to rejoin the community after an absence of I would guess three years. At last I have time to devote to my research again. I recognise many names of those still posting so especial greetings to all concerned.

Recent posts have touched on the difficulty of getting hold of the digitised versions of war diaries at TNA. Does anyone have pdfs of 29 Division for August 1915 I wonder and if so is there any way I could get sight of them without upsetting the copyright applecart?

John

I am delighted to rejoin the community after an absence of I would guess three years. At last I have time to devote to my research again. I recognise many names of those still posting so especial greetings to all concerned.

Recent posts have touched on the difficulty of getting hold of the digitised versions of war diaries at TNA. Does anyone have pdfs of 29 Division for August 1915 I wonder and if so is there any way I could get sight of them without upsetting the copyright applecart?

John

Welcome back. Great to see your name again. MG

PM me. MG

Most have been digitised but have been withdrawn.

2nd Mtd Div

10th Div*

11th Div*

13th Div* (except 40 Bde for some bizarre reason)

29th Div*

54th Dv (TF)

Not previously digitised:

52nd Div

53rd Div

42nd Div

RND

29th Indian Bde

A number of old soaks have the original digitised diaries, so if you are looking for anything specific a general yell for help on the Gallipoli sub-forum will usually yield something. MG

* very detailed. Also the Brigade diaries are included which are packed with info for these formations.

I was mainly interested in medical units for some of my doctors served at the Dardanelles. Names include Checchi, Forbes, Looney, AWG Murray, Scantlebury, Southwick, Stenning, F Stone, H Wall.

thank you

Lina

I was mainly interested in medical units for some of my doctors served at the Dardanelles. Names include Checchi, Forbes, Looney, AWG Murray, Scantlebury, Southwick, Stenning, F Stone, H Wall.

thank you

Lina

The medical unit diaries such as Field Ambulances were never digitised. Unless these individuals were MOs in battalions in the units above, you would need to go to Kew to see their unit diaries. MG

hi everybody, have been trying to research my grandfather who was with 1/4 royal Scots fusiliers (8318), his first action was in the Dardanelles, where will i get unit diary's to find out where exactly they were on the front line, also im rather confused as to why many Royal Scots fusiliers were transferred to the Northumberland fusiliers (311256)....he was injured when he was blown up while on periscope duty....i have the original letter sent to my great grandfather that his son was wounded in action....any help would be appreciated...Rob

The medical unit diaries such as Field Ambulances were never digitised. Unless these individuals were MOs in battalions in the units above, you would need to go to Kew to see their unit diaries. MG

They have digitized many Fd Amb diaries, just none for the Dardanelles - there were many CCS diaries kept as per the TNA website but not digitized yet. It just seems strange that this would be an region of great interest and so strange that they havent done them. Obviously busy.

Mates,

I recieved a flyer from a British Publishing house about all the War Diaries on disc, the other day?

I don't know how good they are as the price range for these is out of my zone of comfort.

See the Naval and Military Press webb site.

Cheers

S.B

Lina

I wasn't able to find any of the names you listed within the following Lines of Communication CCS diaries 11th, 13th, 14th, 16th, 24th, 26th, 52nd (Lowland), 53rd (Welsh) or 54th CCS. I also have 10th Division 30th, 31st and 32nd Field Ambulance and 11th Division ADMS and 35th Field Ambulance, no mention in any of these. The quality of the diaries varies in that the 32nd Field Ambulance has only one page for October yet the 35th lists all casualties the unit suffered, including privates, for at least two of the months they were at Suvla Bay. The 11th CCS barely mentions a name but there is a plan of the Casualty Clearing Station within their diary which I have attached purely for interest of Forum members.

Regards

Alan

post-74297-0-35605900-1418813137_thumb.j

hi everybody, have been trying to research my grandfather who was with 1/4 royal Scots fusiliers (8318), his first action was in the Dardanelles, where will i get unit diary's to find out where exactly they were on the front line, also im rather confused as to why many Royal Scots fusiliers were transferred to the Northumberland fusiliers (311256)....he was injured when he was blown up while on periscope duty....i have the original letter sent to my great grandfather that his son was wounded in action....any help would be appreciated...Rob

Hi Robert

Welcome to the Forum!

You might find more people see your post if you start a new thread of your own in the "Soldiers" section; if you mention Scots/ Northumberland Fusiliers in the title, then it will get more attention than if you just head it "Help wanted with grandfather" or similar. Make sure that you give your grandfather's full name and any other details you know about his service in the post, because that may help.

There was no guarantee that, after recovering from wounds, a man would be returned to his old battalion even if fully fit - he might well find himself sent to where men were needed. But start a new thread, and others may have more details and ideas.

regards,

William

Lina

I wasn't able to find any of the names you listed within the following Lines of Communication CCS diaries 11th, 13th, 14th, 16th, 24th, 26th, 52nd (Lowland), 53rd (Welsh) or 54th CCS. I also have 10th Division 30th, 31st and 32nd Field Ambulance and 11th Division ADMS and 35th Field Ambulance, no mention in any of these. The quality of the diaries varies in that the 32nd Field Ambulance has only one page for October yet the 35th lists all casualties the unit suffered, including privates, for at least two of the months they were at Suvla Bay. The 11th CCS barely mentions a name but there is a plan of the Casualty Clearing Station within their diary which I have attached purely for interest of Forum members.

Regards

Alan

thanks for all yr trouble Alan

regards

Lina