Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

RGA France photo location - anyone identify it?

Tom Morgan

I wonder if anyone could help with identifying the place where this photo was taken. It shows men of the Royal Garrison Artillery, but that's all I know.

I wonder if the date in the roof-tiles might still exist.

Tom

post-7-0-82294400-1416252117_thumb.jpg

If they do still exist, they're doing about 150 years better than the tiles on my roof.

The building on the right just says "ESTAMINET" which isn't a great help. The building behind appears to say **APERIES NOUV**UTE*. Any takers?

1843 is the year that house/barn/farm was built. It is/was the custom here in Holland, didn't know they had it in France/Belgium as well.

"Draperies Nouveautés " : Drapery-shop.

"Estaminet" : café .

So a village with a house built in 1843, a drapery shop and a cafe close together. And the village may not exist anymore.....

Note every village in the war-diaries, and then try and find any old postcards of that village to see if they match.

( www.delcampe.net has many old postcards) is the way to go I think.

Thanks for your thoughts, all. If it offers any further clues in terms of narrowing down the unit or the location, I've just learned that one of the men in the photo was 206224 Gunner W. T. Bagnall.

Seany, I do have a higher res. scan, which I'll send to you via pm.

Tom

If he remained with 37 SB then it could possibly be either Hazebrouck or Terdeghem?

Rgds Paul

Edit: Before that just after Armistice they were billeted at Stasegem/ Sweveghem; where the roof tiles and windows look more promising in old postcards

A close resemblance in Terdeghem, but I'm not convinced. Both buildings in the photo have different roof-lines. The google Earth image is a bit crinkly too, so it's difficult to accurately compare distances between windows etc.

post-7-0-28355500-1416258539_thumb.jpg

Piocture was taken in winter (no leaves on the trees) lookjng North(-ish), and there's no snow on the ground. It has a feel of February/March.

Must have been a village behind the front-line, as there is no damage to be seen on the buildings.

Maybe that helps?

JW

• 3 months later...

I apologize as I realize this is an older post, I am new the forum and going back and reading threads that catch my interest.

May I ask if anyone knows what year the photo is? My great-great uncle was in the RGA in 1917. Just wondering if he could be in this picture. The faces are hard to make out.

Thanks, and I apologize again if we arent supposed to comment on the old threads.