Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Connaught Rangers - 7771 William Craddock

Noor

Hi all,

I would like to confirm few details regards William Craddock service - 7771 Private, Connauht Rangers. I was able to find only his Medal Index Card that confirms his entitlement; British War Medal and Victory medal. That means he served abroad 1916 onward (pretty low service number only). Also MIC shows his transfer into Royal Engineers (new service number 616510). Unfortunately no sign of his service or pension papers.

I was able to see only one William Craddock on 1911 Irish Census. Also his age was prefect for service - 22. Now, he was only from Rathmines, Dublin and do not fit well into Connaught recruiting area but again, probably at this stage (especially after Easter Rising when recruiting fell down) it wasn't so much area based?

Anyway, is there any other sources that can help me to find more about him; when and where he served and where he was from?

Thanking you in advance,

Noor

Looking at a sample of the Medal Rolls it seems that a number of Connaughts in the close by numbers in the same series as here were transferred to the RE as Pioneers. I looked at the Connaught Battalion detail on the LLT but could only see the transfer of a cadre of 200 to the Leinsters in 1918. I am airing this point as there may be someone out there with an answer.

Hi,

There is 7732 Private Percy Bartley Connaught Rangers to transferred to the Royal Engineers as 616506 Pioneer Percy Bartley 8 Aug 1919,

looking at the Regimental Numbers he was probably in the same Draft.

Regards Mark

Thank you guys! I see as well can I find out more about him.Looks like he do not appears on the Irish Times wounded lists.

Thanks again,

Timo

I had a look at the Irish Times as well - no luck. Does some another sources for that specific regiment exists (not familiar with Connaught at all)

• 9 years later...
  • Admin

Welcome to the forum. @Noor is still an active member of the forum. My tag should alert them to your post.