Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lt. T. P. Cronin 4th btn. Tank Corps

tanks3

All,

I am carrying out research on the above named officer. I have established that in March 1918 he was the commander of a Mark IV male tank whilst with the 4th battalion TC. The details I have so far are from Rob Martins site as follows:

By March 22nd 1918 this machine is recorded as being in B Coy of the 4th Btn Tank Corps. Commanded by Lt T. P. Cronin. It was in reserve supporting the 16th Division. At 5.45am on the 23rd, not having been fired upon all the tanks joined a general withdrawal to the line Doignt-Bois de Flaques, passing through Courcelles Wood and Carnival Copse. The tanks were then ordered to Moislains, but were redirected towards Clery. On the way to Clery the tanks were subjected to heavy shell fire. 2557, 2379, 4684 all broke down and were abandoned and destroyed by their crew.

I was wondering if anyone could put anymore flesh on the above. I am hoping someone may have a copy of the battle report for the action. Does anyone have a location map for the above?

I was also hoping to find out more about Lt. Cronin. Can someone point me in the right direction to obtain a copy of this officers service papers and how do I get them from TNA?

All info welcome on either man or machine

Thanks

Tanks3

I have the history of this battalion but the details of this action are very sketchy it would seem several tanks broke down/ran out of fuel etc and had to be burnt, i also have the first 10 volumes of the "tank corps journal" and will have a look in there

Good morning.

You could try the Tank Museum at Bovington, Dorset.

I am led to believe that they have records of individual Tanks

Jim

Remeraoc

Thanks for your post. I will see what I can find out.

I am struggling however to locate Lt. Cronin's service papers at TNA. If anyone should do better than I, could you please let me know? I have located the medal Roll confirming his award of the BWM & VM but can't trace an MIC.

Thanks

Tanks3

Evening all - sorry to be awol but have been having computer problems

Could it be Timothy Cronin - his MIC is on ancestry. Originally Dorset Regt then R Munster Fus then MGC and commissioned Tank Corps on 27 Jul 1917.

Can'f find reference to a service record

Stephen

Nice to have you back. Hope your computer is all fixed now.

This certainly could be a candidate. It has several references to the early 1920's on the MIC which would explain a lack of service papers at TNA. There should be a medal roll for him for the 1914 - 15 star but I can't locate it either. I think my next step is to see if there is anything in the local papers matching the address on the MIC.

Do you have any location plans showing the area where 2379 was abandoned in March 1918?

Most grateful for your help on this

Tanks3

Timothy Patrick Cronin commissioned Tank Corps 27 July 1917.

I have checked the Bn history but it does not mention Cronin on the pages I have.

Have you tried emailing Rob Martin?

The medal roll entry for the 1914-15 Star for Timothy Cronin can be found on ancestry indexed on the Machine Gun Corps Roll as

Timothy Cronin Machine Gun Corps Sgt. 7106 [which was his number in 1st Bn. Dorset Regt.]

His full name was Timothy Patrick Cronin

This Gazette of January 1939 may be of interest, see under MEMORANDA

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/34586/page/60

HarryBrook

That's brilliant. That ties it down for me as I had him as T P Cronin but could only find a T Cronin or Timothy Cronin. It also explains why there are no service papers.

Very grateful

Tanks3

Stephen

Not tried Rob but have tried Gwyn. The details I have on the tank is from Rob's site

Tanks3