Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

RAMC (T) - identification of photograph

webbyg

Before enlisting with the 90th Winnipeg Rifles in Jan 1915, my great great uncle, Jack Roland WEBSTER (b. 1893) appears (according to his Service Record) to have served at least 4 years with the "RAMC T", presumably in Cambridge where he lived and worked.

He appears in the attached photograph - can anyone identify the unit, please? In other words, is it a photograph recording his RAMC T service?

Jack_RAMC.pdf

The NCOs on the front row do look as if they could have red cross insignia above their stripes, which would suggest an RAMC unit. The resolution of the photo isn't really high enough to pick out any other details though. If you could try to do higher resolution scans of just some of the insignia, cap badges would be useful to confirm if RAMC. Confirming that it's TF might be difficult too as none of them are showing their shoulder titles very clearly.

The only other thing I can see is that the photographer appears to be from Colchester, which would make a reasonable amount of sense for a summer camp location for a Cambridge-based unit.

• 5 months later...

Before enlisting with the 90th Winnipeg Rifles in Jan 1915, my great great uncle, Jack Roland WEBSTER (b. 1893) appears (according to his Service Record) to have served at least 4 years with the "RAMC T", presumably in Cambridge where he lived and worked.

He appears in the attached photograph - can anyone identify the unit, please? In other words, is it a photograph recording his RAMC T service?

They are RAMC (TF) wearing full dress tunics but undress forage caps, apart from the acting Sgt Maj, or unit QMS (4 chevrons and crown, or star depending on which he is on cuffs) and 2 officers in the centre who are wearing pre-1913 pattern khaki drab service dress. I can see the Geneva cross badge on some of the SNCOs, at least two of whom has 3 or more TF Efficiency Stars, each awarded for 5/4 years (it changed) 'returned' (i.e. formally reported to higher authority) as efficient. The full dress uniform was dark blue with cherry coloured piping and cuff knots, as were the peaked forage caps with cherry band and piping of the top. The two staff sergeants (the more senior men) are marked out by swords. Most of the men are wearing brown leather waist belts from the 1903 bandolier equipment. I would date the photo as 1910-1912. The front row is flanked by two buglers and two cooks. The men in khaki are almost certainly regulars attached as permanent staff.