Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Flt. Sub-Lieutenant Roland Portman Cannon, RNAS

Aspern

I was wondering if anyone knew of a photograph of Roland Cannon - the reserve pilot on the Friedrichshafen Raid in November 1914.

Fingers crossed!

Ian

Thank SeaJane.

Unfortunately I am giving a talk on Friday and would like to include a pic of him if possible - and so was hoping someone out there might have access to one.

Ian

Phone the FAA and inquire whether they have one they can scan/photograph and e-mail to you in that case...

I was wondering if anyone knew of a photograph of Roland Cannon - the reserve pilot on the Friedrichshafen Raid in November 1914.

Fingers crossed!

Ian

And theres the cat out of the bag :doh:

• 1 year later...

My great uncle was Ronald Portman cannon I am trying to find out about him for a book that I am writing. I read that he was involved in many missions notably the bombing raids to the Zeppelin sheds but his plane never took off.  he was sent to hospital in Cairo in 1919 but I was wondering if anyone knew how I could find out what it was for it seems to be during the Egyptian revolution.

The imperial war museum has some nice pictures of him in front of the avro planes with his flight companions prior to the mission.

Hi

He was the reserve pilot for the Friedrichshafen Raid in November 1914 but was selected to take part when Squadron Commander Philip Shepherd had to drop out due to illness. Cannon's Avro experienced engine problems when he tried to take off at the beginning of the mission. He made a second attempt but this failed also when he broke his tailskid, leaving him grounded as the three other pilots headed off to Friedrichshafen. 

I'm afraid I can't add anything regarding his later career. Sorry.