Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Interpreting a War Diary

dobbin

I am posting a copy of the War Diary for 90th Field Ambulance for the month of September 1917. I am finding it difficult to read an entry for the 11th, headed Admissions referring to R L Masters. I cannot read item that says CMDS or thats what I think it looks like. I assume its a hospital but I cant guess this abbreviation. I am also trying to guess where that CDMS would have been I am assuming 32nd Div but I am unaware where that would have been at that date.

Sorry for the quality it was photographed by me some years ago with my then not very good digi camera and I have had to scan again to reduce the file size to upload. Colin. it.post-20087-0-21778300-1416224350_thumb.j

"Corps Main Dressing Station". You may be able to determine the location from the Corps war diary or possibly that of the Divisional Assistant Director of Medical Services.

Clive,

I reckon that is a REALLY good copy of a war diary, I wish they were all that good!

I'm not sure if you know already what his complaint was, but P.U.O. is a very common one on service records - "Pyrexia of Unknown Origin".

BillyH.

Chris thanks for the help I don't suppose anyone has either of those diaries you refer to? I will have a look on the Master List I have of Forum Members offering diaries but I cant recall seeing those. I will get them from the NA I imagine Corps and Divisional diaries have been digitised.

Billy H thanks for your kind comments on the quality of digi images. Some of them are not so good bearing in mind they didn't start out very good on day one. Believe my poor old eyes curse when I try to read them as I have read many times now The Diaries of the 90th FA for the whole war. Thanks for the details of Pyrexia I had looked it up before but always nice to know there are helpers out there to tell each other these things, indeed I have learned lots and lots from knowledgeable Forum members.

On the issue of Pyrexia, the man in question in fact my Wife's Grandfather, spent some time in hospital in 1917 and 18 and we often wonder if Pyrexia was responsible for his heart condition.

I have created a web site on his military service starting in 1887, here is the link. https://sites.google.com/site/colin1234569/

Please feel free to correct any glaring mistakes if you see them I am pleased to learn. I produced the site for my Grandchildren who I imagine one day may be interested to learn about him.

Thanks Colin.

Divisional diaries are available, corps aren't yet digitised.

Thank you Chris and David. Just to say I asked the question to clear up a family query as to whether Granddad's daughter visited him. We have a letter written at the time that asserts she had just returned from France so I am trying to see what hospital that War Diary refers to. Thanks I will get the Divisional Diary. Colin

Hello Colin

Pyrexia means having a high temperature. I'm no medical expert but it could well be a symptom of a heart condition.

Ron

Thanks Ron I do remember somewhere reading that it could cause heart problems its interesting you think that too. Anyway very hard to prove in those days he didn't get much of a pension for his pains but at least he returned to his family which is more than we can say for many poor souls.Colin.