Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

First use of Aircraft in action?

Jonathan Saunders

On this day in 1911, I believe aircraft were used for the very first time in warfare, the Italians dropping four bombs on Turkey during their invasion of Libya.

If I am wrong I would welcome being corrected by an Aviation buff.

I expect this is probably about right.

BUT

I think we have to say we are sticking to powered aircraft here. Airworthy craft such as balloons were used in earlier conflicts.

Guest Pete Wood

What you are refering to is the anniversary of the first time that bombs (in fact, grenades) were dropped from an aeroplane in war. The pilot was 2Lt Giulio Gavotti, using Cipelli grenades on Turkish forces at Taguira Oasis and on Ain Zara.

The first use of an aeroplane in war was on 22nd October 1911 when Capitano Piazza (Italian Air Flotilla) flew a Bleriot monoplane from Tripoli to Azizia to make a recce of Turkish forces.

The first balloon used in war was on the 26th June 1794, when Captain Coutelle of the French Republican army ascends in tethered hydrogen balloon, named Entreprenant, at Maubeuge, Belgium, during the battle of Fleurus.

Something that may be of interest: These are some pictures from Martyn Hale's (of Hale's grenade fame) personal photograph album of 'The first practical tests with an aircraft bomb made in the United Kingdom. Hale's patent aircraft bomb'). October 23rd 1913.

post-25-1099348087.jpg

Something that may be of interest: These are some pictures from Martyn Hale's (of Hale's grenade fame) personal photograph album of 'The first practical tests with an aircraft bomb made in the United Kingdom. Hale's patent aircraft bomb'). October 23rd 1913.

G'day Giles,

Are the mens named mentioned in the album and if so is one of the men Arthur Murray Longmore.

Regards,

Andrew.

Hi Andrew,

Sorry to say there are no names with the photographs.

According to some notes with the albums I believe Hale's Aircraft Bombs (20 pounders?) were used by the RNAS on raids at Friedrichshafen and Cuxhaven in November and December 1914.

Guest Pete Wood

JTC Moore-Brabazon received Royal Aero Club Pilot Certificate No 1 on the 8/3/1910.

He was one of the founders of the airfield at Mussel Manor, Shellbeach, Sheppey. He did much of his flying from Sheppey, and worked closely with the Short Brothers.