Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

William Henry Gale, Royal Marine Light Infantry, Died 18 July 1918

ph0ebus

Hi all,

I received an amazing email from my uncle yesterday about two cousins of ours who served in the Great War for England and were lost to us but have been brought back to us, thanks to the diligent efforts of a school teacher in Exeter and her class. The first is Pvt. William Henry Gale. From CWGC:

GALE, WILLIAM HENRY

Service No: PLY/726/S

Date of Death: 18/07/1918

Regiment/Service: Royal Marine Light Infantry Plymouth Div.

Grave Reference: W. 110. Cemetery: EXETER (EXWICK OR ST. THOMAS) CEMETERY

Additional Information: Son of Mrs. Lavinia Gale, of 11, Haven Rd., St. Thomas, Exeter.

http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/349984/GALE,%20WILLIAM%20HENRY

From Find a Grave:

58510957_128423859031.jpg

According to the research conducted by this intrepid group of young students, William was felled by tuberculosis. "William died after being discharged/invalided out. He was discharged to the Royal Naval Hospital Plymouth on 14th June 1916 for Pulmonary Turberculosis of the lungs"

It would appear there may be some records for William at the National Archives; would you think this might be the same fellow? (from http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D7831056):

Reference: ADM 159/176/726

Description: Name Gale, William Henry

Register Number: 726

Division: Royal Marine Light Infantry: Plymouth Division Short Service

When Enlisted/Date of Enlistment: 29 December 1914

Date of Birth: 04 September 1895

Also, from http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D7025211:

Reference: ADM 188/997/4897

Official Number: L4897

Place of Birth: Exeter, Devon

Date: [1913] Held by: The National Archives, Kew

Former reference in its original department Vol.No. L4-2

I do not have a precise DOB for him, but the students estimated his birth year as 22 from the headstone information and the DOB in the records above would seem to fit, if this is the correct man.

I will post the details about William's brother, Tom Gale, in his own separate thread, as his end seems that much more unclear, in 1920. Any advice, suggestions, and observations would be most welcome.

Thanks,

-Daniel

Details from FindMyPast, (http://search.findmypast.com.au/record?id=gbm%2frnd%2f3269&highlights=%22%22):

First name(s) William Henry Last name Gale Birth year - Birth day - Birth month - Death year 1918 Death day 18 Death month 7 Service number PLY/726/S Rank Private Regiment or service 1st Royal Marine Bn. Fate Died after Discharge (Invalided) Service branch Royal Marine Light Infantry Service history Deal Bn./1st RM Bn. MEF 31/5/15-14/8/15 Dysentery, Invalided to UK 24/8/15 ; Discharged Invalided at RN Hospital Plymouth 14/6/16 for "Pulmonary Tubercle." Awards - Commemoration Exeter (Exwick) Cemetery (Devon 70) Notes CWGC = Plymouth Division ; Mother, Mrs. Levinia Gale, 3 Pellows Buildings, St. Thomas, Exeter. Category Armed forces & conflict

Service records available at: http://search.findmypast.com.au/record?id=gbm%2fadm159%2f176%2f0%2f0178&parentid=gbm%2fadm159%2f52523&highlights=%22%22, but seaJane's suggestion may provide you with more information.

MArk

These do appea

Hi all,

I received an amazing email from my uncle yesterday about two cousins of ours who served in the Great War for England and were lost to us but have been brought back to us, thanks to the diligent efforts of a school teacher in Exeter and her class. The first is Pvt. William Henry Gale. From CWGC:

GALE, WILLIAM HENRY

Service No: PLY/726/S

Date of Death: 18/07/1918

Regiment/Service: Royal Marine Light Infantry Plymouth Div.

Grave Reference: W. 110. Cemetery: EXETER (EXWICK OR ST. THOMAS) CEMETERY

Additional Information: Son of Mrs. Lavinia Gale, of 11, Haven Rd., St. Thomas, Exeter.

http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/349984/GALE,%20WILLIAM%20HENRY

From Find a Grave:

58510957_128423859031.jpg

According to the research conducted by this intrepid group of young students, William was felled by tuberculosis. "William died after being discharged/invalided out. He was discharged to the Royal Naval Hospital Plymouth on 14th June 1916 for Pulmonary Turberculosis of the lungs"

It would appear there may be some records for William at the National Archives; would you think this might be the same fellow? (from http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D7831056):

Reference: ADM 159/176/726

Register Number: 726

Division: Royal Marine Light Infantry: Plymouth Division Short Service

When Enlisted/Date of Enlistment: 29 December 1914

Also, from http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D7025211:

Reference: ADM 188/997/4897

Official Number: L4897

Place of Birth: Exeter, Devon

Date: [1913] Held by: The National Archives, Kew

Former reference in its original department Vol.No. L4-2

I do not have a precise DOB for him, but the students estimated his birth year as 22 from the headstone information and the DOB in the records above would seem to fit, if this is the correct man.

I will post the details about William's brother, Tom Gale, in his own separate thread, as his end seems that much more unclear, in 1920. Any advice, suggestions, and observations would be most welcome.

Thanks,

-Daniel

These do apepar to be the same man, matching dates of birth, and in one described as having auburn hair, the other red. The second of these records is for a very brief period of service as a ship's steward, he was discharged with an ability rating of inf[erior] after just 7 months in May 1914 - reason for discharge is shown as DSNLR. Then after the outbreak of war he joins the marines and the first record you've found is definitely that for the man whose headstone is pictured.

Jane, Mark and David,

Many thanks. Glad to hear I am on the right course and will order the NA materials.

David, what does DSNLR stand for? Having no luck deciphering that abbreviation.

Thanks,

Daniel

Thanks Horatio - I couldn't figure it out exactly either, though guessed it was the naval equivalent of "unlikely to become an efficient soldier"

seaJane,

Can you enlighten me a bit about the Fleet Air Arm record request aspect of this search? It looks from the materials I am seeing that I would need to go there in person to get access to these files? That is highly unlikely for me for the foreseeable future.

-Daniel

Can you enlighten me a bit about the Fleet Air Arm record request aspect of this search? It looks from the materials I am seeing that I would need to go there in person to get access to these files? That is highly unlikely for me for the foreseeable future.

From the website:- RECORDS AT FAAM CAN BE CONSULTED BY APPOINTMENT, OR COPIES CAN BE SENT BY POST. CHARGES APPLY.

POST AND EMAIL ENQUIRIES

Requests for copies of service related documents in the archive will be answered by post and charged at our standard rate.

From the website:- RECORDS AT FAAM CAN BE CONSULTED BY APPOINTMENT, OR COPIES CAN BE SENT BY POST. CHARGES APPLY.

POST AND EMAIL ENQUIRIES

Requests for copies of service related documents in the archive will be answered by post and charged at our standard rate.

I gather I misunderstood, then. :)

It was the following bit that led to my mistake: "but if your enquiry requires any research you will be asked to arrange an appointment to visit the Museum in person."

-Daniel

So, I now have in my mitts his wartime file from NA. It's short, but interesting. And confusing. :)

Enlisted 29 Dec 1914

I see him assigned to Plymouth Division, and Victory but no other ships are mentioned. Yet, there is a note at the bottom of the page under "Wounds and Hurts, Special Service, etc." that says "Took part in operations at Dardanelles 1915"

A snippet of the file:

post-32240-0-38311400-1416417468_thumb.j

Victory was (I think) his base ship, so why would they not mention the ship he served on at the Dardanelles here?

As an aside, I am pleased he 'redeemed' himself as it were with Very Good general character during wartime.

-Daniel

His was borne for pay on the books of HMS VICTORY, as were all men serving in the Royal Naval Division (RND). He was not serving in a ship but in the 3rd (RM) Brigade of the RND ashore at Gallipoli, later with 188 Brigade in France for a few days in May-June 1916, when the RND transferred to the BEF.

His was borne for pay on the books of HMS VICTORY, as were all men serving in the Royal Naval Division (RND). He was not serving in a ship but in the 3rd (RM) Brigade of the RND ashore at Gallipoli, later with 188 Brigade in France for a few days in May-June 1916, when the RND transferred to the BEF.

Horatio,

Thanks for that. I have quite a steep learning curve ahead of me, so with this information I have a direction to go in to start studying up on the info you provided. He is the first member of my family who I am aware of who was at Gallipoli, so other than having read a thread or two here or there out of curiosity, and watching that cinematic 'masterpiece' of the same name, I know little about it. I actually purchased a book about Gallipoli recently but have not started it yet...that's about to change!

-Daniel

seaJane,

-Daniel

Glad to see that someone helped you out! I'm afraid I had a very busy afternoon with no computer access.

sJ

Glad to see that someone helped you out! I'm afraid I had a very busy afternoon with no computer access.

sJ

No worries! It's a team effort here, which has been greatly appreciated by myself and the living Gale family via my uncle who is also taking on some of the heavy lifting in this recent research round.

-Daniel

• 4 years later...
  • Admin

I have removed your email address from public view , never a great idea to publish on an open forum. Daniel can contact you via private messenger.

Michelle