Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Great War chocolate

stephen p nunn

As Great War chocolate seems to be in the news at the moment - how about this one?

Regards.

SPN
Maldon

post-43629-0-99640200-1416153028_thumb.j

My dad in Norfolk still buys Caley's drinking chocolate.

My dad in Norfolk still buys Caley's drinking chocolate.

Lovely. Good that some things stand the test of time.

Regards.

SPN

Maldon

yep Caleys "marching Chocolate"

Come on lads, its the elephant in the room, the question no one wants to ask but everyone wants to know the answer to....did you taste the chocolate from the Princess Mary tin and what did it taste like? Did you have a dog biscuit from the Great War, did you taste it and what did it taste like? Did you smoke a fag from the box? Do they compare to anything we have today ?(considering they are 100 years old).

I have owned Boer war chocolates, Great War dog biscuits and still have Princess Mary cigarettes. I have not consumed any. They may not have had a use-by date printed on them but a good rule of thumb is that they were never made to last 5 years, let alone 100.

Given my name-sake John Torrington of the Franklin Expedition fame (my family call him uncle frosty), consuming very old food is not a good idea.

Cheers

RT

I have owned Boer war chocolates, Great War dog biscuits and still have Princess Mary cigarettes. I have not consumed any. They may not have had a use-by date printed on them but a good rule of thumb is that they were never made to last 5 years, let alone 100.

Given my name-sake John Torrington of the Franklin Expedition fame (my family call him uncle frosty), consuming very old food is not a good idea.

Cheers

RT

Wish someone had told the Army that in the 'Fifties - SW