The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pte Arthur Bush S/3689 Seaforth Highlanders

topdeer

I am researching Private Arthur Bush of the Seaforth Highlanders number S/3689. I have found his medal Index Card but can not find any services Records on him can any on help me please?

Thank you

Likely to have been with 8 Battalion as it landed in France as part of 44 Infantry Brigade of 15 Division between 7 and 13 July 1915,and his MIC has a date of 9 July. First up in his tour was the Battle of Loos in Sept 1915,what a baptism !

It is likely that his service papers haven't survived,though he did to discharge,presumably after the war as the discharge has no link to causes other than hostilities ceased.

http://www.1914-1918.net/15div.htm

There are 13 sections of digital War Diary commencing in Jul 1915 on first landing,that runs to Dec 1916 and is here,cost £3.30 :

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C4555090

and runs through in smaller sections to the last section which runs from Jul 1918 to Jul 1919.

A caution before you think of buying is to make sure that he was in 8 Battalion. Though the date fits,he just MIGHT have gone over to fill a vacancy in a Battalion already there.

topdeer

Just to give you a feel of the first battle for your subject,Arthur. His 44 Brigade of 15 Division,attacked in two waves at Loos and here are the phenominal loss rates,kindly provided by the Long Long Trail :

Wave 1- 9 Black Watch lost 680 (20 officers)

8 Seaforths lost 502 (23 Officers)

Wave 2- 7 Cameron Highlanders lost 687 (19 Officers)

10 Gordon Highlanders lost 381 (7 officers)