Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pte John Harris 28407. 1st BT Cheshire Regiment

Watchman1275

Good morning

New to this site and have already managed to gather some information to add to what little I have.

I am trying to trace where my wife's uncle died. There are no surviving relatives as his mother died when he was 4 and his sister committed suicide in 1920. His father remarried, He and his sister was living with his father and stepmother in 1911(census records). Non of his step siblings were old enough to recall him only that they knew they had a half brother killed in the war.

I believe he joined between Aug-Dec 1915 from his reg number (info from this forum many thanks). He died age 17 on 25 July 1916 in is buried in Caterpillar Valley Cemetery Longueval.

I'm trying to find where he may have served prior to his death and where he died. We have visited his grave a few times since 2010 but would like to follow his path in 2016 ending the tour on the 100th anniversary at the place of his demise. any help would be gratefully received and if anyone has a photo in a group or whatever this would be especially appreciated as we have no images of him at all.

Many thanks

Kevg

post-118023-0-65158400-1416137119_thumb.

Welcome to the Forum !

This soldier first landed in France on 15 July 1915 according to his Medal Index Card. 1 Battalion Cheshires were part of 15 Infantry Brigade of 5 Division,which first landed in France during 1914,so your man would have been in a replacement draft for losses taken. There is a unit War Diary available which is digital and downloadable for £3.30,which will give you the clear path of John's war on a daily basis from his arrival to his death,at High Wood,here:

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C7352273

Confirming that the record shows he was killed in action on 25 July 1916.

Also you can look in the Long Long Trail,at top left of this page,for the actions of 5 Division:

http://www.1914-1918.net/5div.htm

Soldiers Died in the Great War :

28407 Pte. John Harris : Born Worksop : Enlisted Worksop

Formerly 21868 Notts & Derby Reg't : (probably just trained with them in the UK.)

BillyH.

Thankyou Gentleman

I appreciate your help and the information is very useful to me, I've downloaded the war Diaries and a cursory look through has furnished a lot of information on his short journey I didn't have. John the link to your website has put some flesh to the way he died that wasn't obvious in the diaries I thankyou for this.

Kevg

Not a very good image of him from the local news paper but he is mentioned in the Worksop Guardian dated 11th August 1916 as enlisted 7th January 1916 and was drafted to 1st Battalion Cheshire Regiment, prior to enlisting he was a driver at Shireoaks Colliery. Regards, BRONNO.

post-30693-0-83520300-1416310640_thumb.j

Thank you Bronno this picture is very much appreciated, it may not be the clearest but is the only shot we have of John.

My wife sends her gratitude as this is the one thing she has wanted since we started researching him and now she has it.

thanks again

Kev