Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Looking for Trench Maps Near Craonne, Cornbeny and Juvincourt

cwbuff

That's great - many thanks! From what I can make out, on 27 May the 4th East Yorks were in the trenches in the area you show here, from B de Clam (slightly left of centre in your image) westwards. I think the sector they covered went a little further west than on this map - possibly to B de Stauffen on the map here: http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/6712/154di24517craonelle.jpg .

After going back through the fragments it now seems more likely that my Great Grandfather was in A Company of 1/4th East Yorks - who were in the line on 27 May - rather than C Company at PC Verdun (in Craonne). He was killed with his Company Commander by a shell landing in their dugout.

I really appreciate your help whilst stepping my way through this! I think we are clearer now about where he lies, with so many other East Yorks. Thank you.

From what I can make out, on 27 May the 4th East Yorks were in the trenches in the area you show here, from B de Clam (slightly left of centre in your image) westwards. I think the sector they covered went a little further west than on this map - possibly to B de Stauffen on the map here: http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/6712/154di24517craonelle.jpg .

OK... here's the same map extended to the same as your linked image...

Dave

post-357-0-19479900-1453164489_thumb.jpg

Excellent - many thanks! From what I understand, A Coy of 1/4th East Yorks were in the area of the blue trenches at the crest of the plateau and down the slope to the north, i.e. on a facing slope. Not ideal.

Thanks again for your help!

• 1 year later...

Hi Antony,

Your research into 1/4th East Yorks on the Chemin Des Dames in May 1918 is exactly what I have been searching for. My wife's Grandpa, acting L. Corporal Vincent Foulkes, was, like your Great Grandfather, in A Company.  He was captured on the 27th May but lived on until the age of 102. 

Interesting that Your Great Grandfather was killed along with the Company Commander because Vincent, on the rare occasions that he spoke about his time in France, recounted how, during the offensive, he and another soldier found themselves alone with no officers to give them orders and in the confusion decided to fall back and were subsequently mopped up by the Germans. We have the impression that he felt he had deserted his post and it was something that bothered him a great deal.

I have digested all the info and maps you have posted and I have copies of the Battalion and 150th Brigade diaries so I feel I'm reasonably prepared for our planned visit to Craonne next year.

Vincent very likely joined the East Yorks in the field in one of two draughts of replacements arriving on the 6th April(309 OR) and the 19th April (82 OR)1918. His service record is destroyed and I'm keen to establish which date he arrived because if it was the 6th then he would have seen action during the Germans' previous offensive on the Lys. Have you any advice on where to search for this? Also, have you any more info on the East Yorks in Craonne during the 27th May? 

Thanks for the invaluable info so far.

Dave P. 

• 9 months later...

Hello Croonaert,

My great-grandfather Richard Behr was a hunter in the 1st Royal Saxon Hunter Batallion No. 12. He was stationed at Hill 108 and Hill 91 in Berry-au-Bac from March 1915 until July 1916. Last summer I had the opportunity to visit the grounds and see the crater at Hill 108, very interesting. My cousin and I made a memorial march of 6 days, covering 145 km, from Berry-au-Bac to Soyécourt, where he fell on September 4th 1916.

I wonder if you maybe have old pictures or further maps showing Hill 108 & 91 and the set-up of the trenches at this site. Or maybe some old pictures showing the soldiers who were located there? It would be very interesting to get more information as I only have one picture from Richard from this time. 

Many thanks for your help!

Mark

• 2 weeks later...

Apologies for the delay, but other projects prevent me from frequenting this site all that much these days!

Cotes 108 and 91 ...

Dave

111.jpg

• 2 months later...

Sorry to piggyback this discussion but would anyone have details or a map of the trenches between Authville and Thiepval in December 1915. I am trying to pin the exact location of the 17th Lancers during that time. I have a trench sketch from the 6th Cavalry who were on the 17ths right, sadly it's not very helpful, when compared to a modern map

• Admin

Best to start a new thread about this I think. This thread deals with a very different area than the one you are looking for.

Michelle 

The Archives in Baden have Aerial Recon photos of the trenches. I found these under IR111 photos. Juvincourt, Cornbeny June 1917

https://www2.landesarchiv-bw.de/ofs21/bild_explorer/index.php?bestand=22508

Main Page for all Baden Units https://www.landesarchiv-bw.de/highlight_hp3.php?hl_link=https://www.landesarchiv-bw.de/web/58589&q=456

Landesarchiv_Baden-Wuerttemberg_Generallandesarchiv_Karlsruhe_456_F_37_Nr._53_Foto_4-5_Bild_1_(4-1872550-1).jpg

Landesarchiv_Baden-Wuerttemberg_Generallandesarchiv_Karlsruhe_456_F_37_Nr._53_Foto_77-78_Bild_1_(4-1872911-1).jpg

Landesarchiv_Baden-Wuerttemberg_Generallandesarchiv_Karlsruhe_456_F_37_Nr._55_Foto_1_Bild_1_(4-1873252-1).jpg

Landesarchiv_Baden-Wuerttemberg_Generallandesarchiv_Karlsruhe_456_F_37_Nr._55_Foto_2_Bild_1_(4-1873253-1).jpg

• 1 year later...
On 12/01/2016 at 22:18, AJFirth said:

Many thanks - much appreciated! I think you are right about the re-naming as it looks like PC S/Secteur Ouest corresponds to PC Marais on the 'CraonneC' map at http://ljdm.caius.homeip.net/images/CraonneC.jpg . I'm guessing that the CraonneC map is later, as the systems seem to have deteriorated - most notably Tr. d'Hasloch.Thanks again for your help! (And if anyone else is trying to trace 4th East Yorks near Craonne on 27 May 1918 please get in touch)

Hi - I’m just new to these forums and trying to find out more about the man who would have been my great uncle, had he lived. He was Private Leslie Gabbott of the 1/4th East Yorkshire Regiment, and he was only 18 when he went missing on 27th May, presumed killed. According to my cousin, he had only been in France for 6 weeks so I’m guessing he was one of the new recruits who was brought in to help replace the  heavy losses in the previous battles before Aisne. It mentions that the IX Corps was moved to Craonne area for rest but also to train the new recruits. I’m trying to find out exactly where he might have been placed in the trenches on the morning of May 27th and I’m finding all these maps and accounts fascinating as I’m gradually piecing together more of his story. 
Thanks.