Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Edward Humphries MIC

Tavern Druid

Hi Forum members

I wonder if anyone could help me interpret Edward Humphries Medal card.

I know he was in the ASC but don't understand the reference on the top line to the 8DSC.

Was this a unit within the ASC perhaps?

In the REGTL. No. column the last entry. Is this another service number? If so what are the letters preceding the /.

The second line of script after the 14 Star, I'm not sure it makes any sense to me.

The first line is about the 14 Star and the third line is the SWB.

The person completing this card looks like he must have made an error on the second line then corrected it.

I have got that right?

Hope someone can help me with this.

many thanks in advance

David

post-98824-0-89416100-1416078674_thumb.j

I think it is 8 Division Supply Column of ASC.

Possibly he was a motor transport driver?

On his sons marriage certificate it says he was a Motor Cab Driver so that makes sense.

Thank you JohnBoy

David

M1 is indeed ASC's Mechanical Transport

Mike

Hi

Dup Sub + duplicate submission for his British War and Victory medals, so if you look in both those RASC medal books, as indicated by the reference and page numbers, you would see one has been crossed out. Should all be on Ancestry now.

He has 3 service numbers, the last is EMT44833 - E Army Service Corps Forage , M Army Service Corps Mechanical Transport , not sure with T - T Many regiments Territorial

T Army Service Corps Horsed Transport. Often accompanied with a number, denoting recruitment into the appropriately numbered Kitchener (New) Army so either? From http://www.1914-1918.net/soldiers/letterprefixes.html

regards

Robert

• Admin

The date entered theatre accords with the main body of the 8th Division and I agree with the interpretation of Divisional Supply Column (or Train).

His number consistently refers to Kitchener's First Army and Mechanical Transport i.e. the M1 prefix. He enlisted on 23 rd September 1914 and was discharged due to sickness on the 17th September 1917 from the ASC Mechanical Transport (SWB Roll). As a driver he would be required to undergo some basic military training and would then go on to take a proficiency test at the ASC Depot which is why he found himself in France so quickly, the law of supply and demand operated and ASC drivers received an enhanced rate of pay as in 1914 qualified drivers were in short supply as this 1915 Recruiting Poster illustrates http://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/21973

The T refers to Transport not Territorial.

The cards were made up from the Rolls and his 14 Star Roll shows the first number M1/05553 which would be imprinted on the medal. The other two 'war medals' as denoted by the asterisk were imprinted with the second number i.e. the 0 has been dropped on the Rolls. As Robert says there is an entry on the ASC 'EMT Roll' i.e. all the numbers on the page are prefixed EMT, and this is struck through with a reference back to the the Mechanical Transport or MT page of the Roll.

It appears that after his discharge from ASC Mechanical Transport, the unit shown on the SWB Roll, he re-enlisted in the ASC Forage (as did nearly all the men on the page) on the 14th July 1919 when he was given the EMT/ number shown on the card. Usually the last unit in which served was responsible for administering the issue of the medals but it appears his first unit did so as well resulting in the duplication.

He was awarded the Clasp and Roses for the 1914 Star which were sent out to him with an Issue Voucher on 24/9/1920.

Ken