Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Garrison Artillery Unit - Help, Please!

davem43624

To other contributors - I've had several goes at getting Grandad's records from the National Archives, but I just can't make the ordering pages work - the links for Grandad found in a search do not work on the ordering pages, and the "report a problem" link gives a 404 error (page not found). Aaaarrrggh! Same for some other rellies I'm interested in.

Cheers

Dave

Hi Dave, glad you are feeling better.

I am not sure what you have found on the NA site except his MIC, which you have obviously got. His records are held by the MOD, if they exist, and I gave the link in my first post. You need to download the appropriate forms and pay the £30 and then unfortunately wait for a reply. I have never had need to use it but certainly some members of the forum have with good results.

Kevin

• 4 months later...

I must have missed this when first posted.

Dave, on the previous page said:

Another question for anyone who has any info, please: is it possible to find the troopships involved in getting the units out there & back? Mum has finally remembered that she came back on the Nevasa in 1933, but she thought it was a hospital ship. From what I've read, it was a hospital ship at one point, but was definitely a troopship in the 30s.

The Nevasa operated as a troop ship from 1925. There is a link to a photograph of the ship on the FIBIS Fibiwiki page Trooping season, section External links

http://wiki.fibis.org/index.php/Trooping_season

Dave also said: All the references I've looked at say that Khanspur was an infantry station, but Grandad was most definitely RGA/RA. Any ideas?

Things change over time. It's simply that by the time your grandfather was there, his Battery of the Royal Artillery was based at Khanspur for a period. There is a reference in one of the photos in the following link to the 2nd Light Tank Company at Khanspur 1930s. This was a summer camp up in the mountains, so the time there was probably about three-four months.

http://www.angelfire.com/pq2/armour/NWFP_30s/

Cheers

Maureen

Kevin & Maureen

Thanks for the extra info you posted. Sorry to be so long getting back to you - I hadn't noticed the post has grown onto a second page now!

Kevin - I will have another go at the NA sometime soon, and post results.

Maureen - thanks for the links for Nevasa and Khanspur. I've seen quite a few pics of Khanspur & surrounds by now, but I hadn't seen those pics! I do have one of two family photos of my mother & her sister growing up out there, with "Boy", their minder, and a tea-party where all the children are wearing their solar topees!

Thanks again

Dave