Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help to establish regiment etc; from Military Medal

GBH

Good afternoon,

I have received information in respect of a Military medal awarded to my brother in laws Grandfather.

The Grandfather's name is Alfred Smale. I do not know anything about his regiment or the reason he was awarded the medal.

On the edge of the medal is the following inscription:-

632583 Pte A Smale 252/COY LAB G

Be grateful for any information, particulary which regiment he was in.

Hope to hear back soon.

Many thanks for any info.

Gary

Probably impossible to discover the reason for the award - the war diaries of the Labour Corps companies do not generally survive (and, according to the National Archives catalogue, 252 Company certainly doesnt).

It may be worth checking the local newspapers of the time to see if the award was mentioned.

Based on past experience I'd say probably earned for actions under shell fire or bombing from air raids. These units worked on roads, etc. & mostly were under the long range stuff so odds are that was involved in the event. Could've carried messages or rescued wounded men under fire. As I say based on other awards to the Labour Corps but suffice it to say the award was well earned.

Based on other awards, the July 1919 M.M. awards (to which this Gazette issue is a correction) were for actions in September/October 1918 during the more mobile days at the end of the war.

Steve.