Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Recent discrepancy in specifics of grandfather's Q.O.C.H. battalio

geordie3

Ancestry has just released the WW1 Service Medal and Award Rolls 1914 - 1920 (distinctly separate from but with a link to the previously available Medal Rolls Index Cards). I have just viewed my late grandfather's details in the Service Medal and Award Rolls and it appears that there is a strange discrepancy. It states under the 'Previous Units' section that my grandfather, George J[ackson] Stewart, served with '1/Cam. Hrs. S/32166'. The regiment number quoted is correct but my grandfather in fact served with the 6th Battalion Cameron Highlanders. There are two instances in his service record where it clearly states that he was with the 6th Battalion. One particular document contained in his service record is Army Form B 122, a disciplinary action form. Two names (in addition to my grandfather's) are present on this form, that of Company Quarter Master Sergeant [William Haywood] Fisher and Capt. R. K. Drummond (the disciplining officer concerned). Both these men were with the 6th Battalion Q.O.C.H. Also, while serving in France my grandfather became great friends with a man from Rothesay, Argyllshire called Edward R. Stagg. He also served with the 6th Battalion. Could this apparent error just be a typo or is the '1' a reference to the fact that my grandfather was with a 1 battalion/division of the' Expeditionary Force'(?) before being posted to the 6th Battalion Q.O.C.H. several days later on the 21st April 1918 (as stated in the Statement of Service, Army Form B 200)? I know that this may simply seem to be a matter of a number but it has got me thinking that if the information in the newly released Rolls is in fact correct that my previous understanding of my grandfather's service history might be totally wrong. All feedback greatly appreciated.

Regards

Geordie

I know that this may simply seem to be a matter of a number but it has got me thinking that if the information in the newly released Rolls is in fact correct that my previous understanding of my grandfather's service history might be totally wrong

Like everything there may will be errors in the original rolls - these rolls are what the Medal Index Cards were created from as a workable index system.

There have certainly been verifiable cases on here where men were with a battalion for only a short period (usually whilst at a depot and often simply an administrative move) before being posted elsewhere and this battalion is missing from records.

Craig

Hi Craig, thanks for replying. I will just have to put the discrepancy down to simple error for now. The two instances in my grandfather's service record where it states that he was with the 6th Battalion are quite unambiguous - the numeral '6' is very legible in each case. I will keep an eye on this post and see what else materialises.

Regards

Geordie