Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

R G Higginson, Military Medal and Bar - Kings Liverpool Regiment

I am trying to find information on behalf of my wife on the above soldier in respect of his awards for the Military Medal and Bar during the Great War as she is the grand daughter of R G Higginson. She has just been passed the medal (plus others) and she would dearly like to find what the awards were for.

Also, as Robert was from the Warley area of the Black Country why did he enrol in the Kings Liverpool Regiment?

Any information regarding this relative would be much appreciated

Regards

Glyn Fisher

9188 WO2 Robert George Higginson, MM & Bar, 1st Bn.

I think that number was issued around 1905. If so, being a pre-War regular may explain why he was in the KLR, despite being from the black country.

To France 12th August 1914

MM Gazetted 12th September 1916

Bar Gazetted 19th February 1917

His name was in a list of about 20 MM winners published in the Liverpool Echo on 15th September 1916

Many thanks Stephen for your prompt reply and the interesting information.

My wife intends getting the full service information regarding her grandfather but where might she find what actions were carried out by him in order to receive the awards he did? Regarding the KLR attachment how would he have been in the regiment living in the Midlands or was it his choice in around 1905?

Hope you can help

Best regards

Glyn

A service record for Robert George Higginson is available on findmypast showing that he attested first as Pte. 7402 in 5th Bn. The Worcestershire Regt. on 31.8.1904. He was discharged to the King's Regt. on 10.12.1904. His address at the time of enlistment was 346, Garrison Lane, Small Heath, Birmingham. His father's name was Robert. There are four pages of record.

Thanks for the information. As mentioned my wife intends to send for her grandfathers military records. Will these records show full details of when and what action was carried out in achieving the Military Medal, if not where can this be obtained?

Thanks in anticipation

Probably not.

Your best bet for finding the reason behind the MM & Bar awards is the local newspaper (local to where he lived). MM citations are notoriously hard to find...but not impossible